Kitchen is half quarry tiles / half concrete... what do we do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got up the old carpets on our renovation project, and weirdly the kitchen floor is mostly quarry tiles, except for the back third of the room being concrete. Unfortunately the floor is level throughout, so we can't just put tiles on top of the concrete to fix it. I'm imagining we just hire a floor grinder, lower the concrete bit by the requisite thickness and then tile it over. But is there some logical reason why a kitchen would be built this way? I'm rather new to quarry tiles...

Attachments

• 2021-04-18_jkiphone_2333.jpg
    2021-04-18_jkiphone_2333.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
Given that there is a wall in line with the concreted area, then presumably the reason for the flooring being different is that they weren't always the same room.

Well, now that you say it - that seems like a pretty obvious conclusion! But I'll admit it hadn't occurred to me. So maybe some sort of extension some decades ago... will look at other inner walls to see if there are clues hiding in there. Am also leaning towards breaking up the whole pad, taking it out, putting down a proper membrane and re-pouring a slab...

I've seen self levelling put over quarry tiles before.

Though if these are the thick ~5x5" ones you might want to check the value of them and remove them first.

Sponsored Links
Had a chat with a builder, and after thinking it out, seems best to just hammer out the existing concrete and lay down a new slab that is 1-2" lower. Benefit here is I can install it with a membrane underneath to manage dampness in the back wall (which is partially underground) which the previous builder seems to have forgotten...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back