Kitchen layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im planning my kitchen area of my build.

I cant decide if the island in the middle would look best with the sink or hob/oven fitted in it. Only thing with hob in middle is extractor hanging in middle then running the pipework to outside.

What you think?

Sponsored Links
Just remember the golden rule about kitchen planning. The Triangle,,,, Preparation,, cooking and washing up. So worktop (preparation area), Cooker and Sink need to form a triangle (or so they'll have us believe) ;) ;) ;)

Yeah i know what your saying always come up that triangle hence why i was going to add sink or hob to the island, or would be hob and sink on same side then prep area on island.

Sponsored Links
My own take on this would be to put the sink in the island and the cooker on the side because unless the kitchen is huge the hood hanging down in the middle of the room is just a barrier to vision across the room, ask yourself would you hang something as large as a cooker hood in the center of your living room?

Depending on the whole layout and space available, I'd consider the prep area in the island, cheaper, simpler, possibly more flexible, e.g breakfast bar.

Who'd want to sit on a stool at the sink or cooker, chatting to the chef?

Maybe I am messy but when using the hobs or the sink, there are usually splashes around, so I wouldn't put either of them on a kitchen island.

Doesn't the 'triangle involve the cooker, sink and fridge?

and don't three points placed randomly anywhere Always form a triangle? :eek: :eek:

doesn't it really mean that the cooker, sink and fridge need to be relatively close...? the worktop, after all will be all around you filling in between things...

The room will be pretty big 9 mtrs long x 6 meters wide at its max, as making the downstairs open plan.

Ill be doing all the work so its no more work plumbing the sink in the middle v's cooker (gas safe also).

The extractor is the other thing with it hanging down in middle, the outlet pipe is a little hard to run but most of the pics ive seen seem to have the cooker in the middle.

Thanks for input so far.

Out of the 'triangle' of cooker, sink and fridge, if any two need to be close together it's the cooker and sink. Think how often you have to pick up a hot, heavy pan from the cooker and drain it into the sink! :!: :!: :!: I would say that the two should be spaced by one standard cupboard width, giving yourself just enough bench to put a few pans down. :) :) :)

I would avoid having a cooker in an island for reasons already given (extraction problems) and so it follows that I wouldn't put the sink in there either. Do you really want to have to turn around with that pan in your hands? :?: :?: :?: What kind of floor covering do you envisage? How will it take to regular splashes of boiling water or, worse, hot fat? :eek: :eek: :eek:

The room will be pretty big 9 mtrs long x 6 meters wide at its max, as making the downstairs open plan.
Hows the protected escape from the floor above achieved, BC expect any extra measures or have you retained seperate stairs?

Hows the protected escape from the floor above achieved, BC expect any extra measures or have you retained seperate stairs?

I have a seperate hall with the stair case in, already thought of that one.

I will never be picking or turning with a pan as my wife is a chef so thats her job, thanks for the thought tho.

The fridge wont be moving as ive built it into the wall already.

Sponsored Links
Back