Kitchen Light failure - 5 G4 under cabinet fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a run of 5 lights which is run by a 240v-12V transformer with Halogen 20W bulbs. I recently replaced 2 of these with LED bulbs (but I don't know the wattage). Everything has now failed. I've checked the 240 supply to the transformer and that's OK so I'm guessing the transformer is dead. The question is: What sort of spec. should a new transformer be? And if anyone can cast a light on why the old one should fail I would be interested. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Piccies, Piccies.... we like piccies!

Without more precise information...but an educated guess - Your "transformer" will be a en electronic power supply. It will have a minimum load. You've already replaced two filament lamps with LEDs (which use much less current). My money is is now one or more of the other lamps have failed & thus the load has fallen below the minimum needed by the power supply unit so it doesn't want to play.

We'll be able to make a better diagnosis if you can provide some piccies!

Either change the "transformer" for an LED driver (and change the other 3 lamps for LEDs). Or rip the whole thing out and use a purpose 5-light LED set. A mains one would be easier then 12v LEDS, then you wont even need a separate driver.

Sponsored Links
Transformers are not meant for LED it will most likely have failed, you should have transformer on low volt lighting like the halogens but LED need drivers. General mistake by many think they can just swop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back