Kitchen Light - Please Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, im new here and in desperate need of some help.

I bought a new light for my kitchen (its a chrome bar with 4 spot lights on it). The original light was a standard ceiling rose light. I attempted to fit the new light last week but couldnt get it to work, and it was getting dark so i put the old one back in.

I tried to fit it again on weds afternoon but no luck, I then put the old light back up but as I was doing it, the brown sheath (for the switch wire) fell off. After some trial and error, I think I found the correct wire but my kitchen light is now constantly on. The light switch wont even click.

Any ideas? I can supply pictures if needed.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, im new here and in desperate need of some help.

I bought a new light for my kitchen (its a chrome bar with 4 spot lights on it). The original light was a standard ceiling rose light. I attempted to fit the new light last week but couldnt get it to work, and it was getting dark so i put the old one back in.

I tried to fit it again on weds afternoon but no luck, I then put the old light back up but as I was doing it, the brown sheath (for the switch wire) fell off. After some trial and error, I think I found the correct wire but my kitchen light is now constantly on. The light switch wont even click.

Any ideas? I can supply pictures if needed.

Chris

have you got a multimeter ? if so then you need to identify the switch wire as the one in Live on the fitting is a permanent live which is incorrect...

is there no signs of tape marks on 1 of the blues to help you identify which was the switch wire ?

No i dont have one. All i have is a polarity pen so i know which wire is live.

There are no marks on the wires. Ive got 1 earth wire, 3 brown wires and 3 blue wires (1 of them being the switch wire with the missing sheath)

Sponsored Links

There are no marks on the wires. Ive got 1 earth wire, 3 brown wires and 3 blue wires (1 of them being the switch wire with the missing sheath)

the 3 sets of wires are most likely mains in i.e permanent live and neutral whcih in a ceiling rose situation would be connected to LOOP and N , another permanent live and neutral which again would be connected to LOOP and neutral , and finally a switch wire which the brown would go to Loop as this wire then connects into Common at the switch (giving power to the switch) the blue sleeved brown connects to L on the ceiling rose and the other end connects to L1 on the switch , buy a multimeter they sell them from Toolstation for a fiver , then isolate the lighting circuit , set the meter to continuity range ideally so an audiable tone is heard when you find the right cable ,seperate the 3 cables and place your meter probes on the brown and blue and ask your mrs to flick the switch to see if you have the right switch wire , 1 of the brown and blues will create a beep when the switch is flicked on as this closes the switch which simulates the voltage running through the switch and back up to the ceiling rose to switch the lamp on...

the 3 sets of wires are most likely mains in i.e permanent live and neutral whcih in a ceiling rose situation would be connected to LOOP and N , another permanent live and neutral which again would be connected to LOOP and neutral , and finally a switch wire which the brown would go to Loop as this wire then connects into Common at the switch (giving power to the switch) the blue sleeved brown connects to L on the ceiling rose and the other end connects to L1 on the switch , buy a multimeter they sell them from Toolstation for a fiver , then isolate the lighting circuit , set the meter to continuity range ideally so an audiable tone is heard when you find the right cable ,seperate the 3 cables and place your meter probes on the brown and blue and ask your mrs to flick the switch to see if you have the right switch wire , 1 of the brown and blues will create a beep when the switch is flicked on as this closes the switch which simulates the voltage running through the switch and back up to the ceiling rose to switch the lamp on...

thanks for that, ill pick up one today and let you know how i do :)

Perhaps three bare earth wires are contained in one earth sleeve.

just looked at it and you are right, does this mean anything? sorry everyone, im a complete noob at all this.

Perhaps three bare earth wires are contained in one earth sleeve.

just looked at it and you are right, does this mean anything? sorry everyone, im a complete noob at all this.[/quote]

no its fine it just means when you come to seperate your cable you need to take the earth sleeving off and most likely untwist the earth wires...Its better practice to put a seperate bit of earth sleeving on each earth cable

One day I'll understand why people who know that they don't know anything about electrics don't see any reason why they shouldn't fiddle with theirs.

But not this day.

The light switch wont even click.

Sounds like that during your "trial and error" you have banged 230v across the switch. They don't like that so you'll probably need a new switch.

What sort of switch is it?

Well I have to thank everyone for their advice with this. I bought a multimeter along with a new switch from toolstation, and its all fixed.

NOW, I'd like to know where I'm going wrong with getting the new light fitted. The light I've bought has 1 green, 1 blue and 1 brown wire and has a terminal block with 8 ports in it.

I connect the wires through the terminal port (as it says in the instructions) but then I have some other wires left over. What do I do with these? View media item 42388 View media item 42389

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back