Kitchen lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a quick opinion from everyone as to what lighting would be best for my kitchen in my new flat. Currently we have something like this but it looks a bit old and scabby, plus uses R80 halogen spots.

The kitchen is about 3.5m long with a window at one end and door at the other by 2m wide. There are wall cabinets along both long walls.

I am limited by the following - concrete ceiling, so no PL downlighters. Single steel conduit box in ceiling as only mounting point. No chasing practical so no pelmet/under cabinet lights.

What do we all think then? HF florescent fitting? Something else?

Thanks

Colin C

Sponsored Links
Blimey - that photo is of a light taking MR16 lamps - one with R080s must be enormous... :eek:

Is there no way that you could lower the ceiling enough to get cables to the edges? Plasterboard on thin battens would do. You'd then be able to have lights on top and below the cabinets.

Failing that, start looking at the major office/retail/architectural lighting manufacturers.

Fluorescent tube lighting doesn't have to look like this:

TNPP158.JPG
TNPPD2.JPG

For example the top right one here:

or these:

TLG_PLNR_F_CLIT.jpg

TLG_PRSM_F_01.jpg

And these are all from one maker.

Plus you could also try badgering Osram to see if they've finally got around to making off-the-shelf products using Planon lamp technology.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back