Kitchen lights using commercial fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about fitting 4 of these ( http://www.alertelectrical.com/Ligh...P44-PL-Downlight-cw-Cover--Lamps-MA226-IP.asp ) into my new kitchen false ceiling. They look ideal because they are low energy and I can pick and choose my lights (26w or 13w, single or double bulbs) to get the right intensity.

Is it correct that I need the HF control gear as well? The basic product (MA218-IP) seems to be just the fitting, but there is a separate code for the product with the gear (MA226-HF-IP). GOT IT. I need the gear. Ignore.

Are there any other good places to source these types of lights from? Are these the best types of lights, or something else.

Please tell me if I am doing something stupid and there are other approaches. I don't want to use "normal" downlights.

Sponsored Links
I am confused by the options. Does that version have the control gear? Is High Frequency control gear the normal, or is it extra. If it is extra, what is the difference between normal and High Frequency? When is best to use HF?

options are from top to bottom..

standard 18W
standard 26W
standard 18W with remote emergency box
standard 26W with remote emergency box
HF 18W
HF 26W
HF 18W with remote emergency box
HF 26W with remote emergency box..

Sponsored Links
Usually
The standard comes with a remote box containing two chokes.
The HF comes with a remote box containing one electronic ballast
The fitting will usually be the same for both.

Usually they are 2 pin lamps and there will be a four core and earth loom supplied to link the box to the fitting. normally.

Go for the HF if you can afford it.
The standard one will run hotter and not as efficient.
The only real disadvantage with HF is if one lamp goes, both will usually fail, whereas the standard will run with one lamp.

The standard control gear is starting to be phased out next year anyway.

Definitely get the HF ones.
Instant start, no flicker, lamps will last much longer, and no noise from the ballast resonating in the ceiling.

Good choice of fitting. I have similar ones in the study and kitchen (I think mine were JCC ones with stucco aluminium reflector). Kitchen is lit like a stadium :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back