Kitchen mixer tap- hot water side not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I've a kitchen mixer tap, the hot side of which runs from a combi boiler. Lately, the tap has been playing up. The knob opens like normal but little or no water comes out sometimes.
If you keep using it, the water flow diminishes to a level where combi boiler does not get fired (hence no hot water), then eventually it goes to no water coming out at all.

The temporary solution I've found at the moment is to practice turning ON and OFF the tap qucikly for a minute and then water starts coming and pressure builds up again for the combi to start giving hot water.

I've got to the point of opening the tap knob by taking the top flap off, unscrewing it and checking if the tap was working with the plastic spindle.

I found that tap does not work with plastic spindle either so I took it off as well.

What are the next steps needed from here as I had not turned off the water supply so far and wanted some advice before I could go further to open up the whole tap without knowing what I was doing. Should I be looking for some kind of washer replacement? Should I buy it before I undo the whole tap? Please also mention what type of washer it is called and what size it should be for kitchen (presuming kitchen ones are 1 size).

If a pic would help, please let me know and I can show you the tap in its finished and open form (with plastic spindle off).

Thanks
psarinuk.

Sponsored Links
hi the mixer tap usually has ceramic discs rather than washers.plz forward pic for more info.

Hi there, I could not find a way of posting the pic on this thread (think u have to email the pic)

Anyway, you are right. I opened the tap and there was no washer. However the stem that I took out again opened into 2 seperate halves. there was lot of greasy muck inside them, so I cleaned it with wired wool, strong non-bleach cleaners and with boiling water.

I've put it back now and it seems to work OK but not as good as the cold water one. You have to open the tap fully to get good stream of hot water. Wonder how long will this tap last now..

Any comments anyone?

Cheers...

Sponsored Links
you'll always get a faster flow on the cold side with a combi than the hot as the hot is slowed by the boiler to heat it.

spuddie
What makes you think that the tap won't have been fixed in 4 years?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back