Kitchen Mixer Tap - Pressure Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought & fitted a tap from a well-known orange DIY chain. As with many others in store, it was labelled as suitable for all water systems. However, I now discover that my gravity fed hot supply is being overpowered by the mains cold. Presumably being pushed back up the pipe. What are my options here ? Do I fit a check valve (I think that's what it's called ?) to the hot pipe to stop the flow reversing ? If so, won't this just mean that in most cases, the tap will just provide cold rather than mix i.e. stop the hot, unless the cold is on very slow ? Instead, is there a valve which will balance them both i.e. reduce the cold pressure ?

Any advice appreciated. I don't really want to remove the tap and return as the kitchen is finished !

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any LEGAL tap doesn't mix the hot and cold until the very end of the spout, to prevent backflow. B&Q sell some junk though.
Is there a gauze sort of thing on the end of the spout - an "aerator"? If so unscrew it, it might be full of scale etc.

You have to have equal pressure hot and cold for mixers which is why they are typically fitted upstairs in a gravity fed systems. It is also why you fit a 'monoblock' tap where different pressures are present e.g. downstairs kitchen. As the name 'monoblock' suggest it is a single block but houses 2 separate taps and spouts in the one block. Look at the end of the old spout and you will see 2 outlets, they are individually fed for the separate hot and cold tap, so the water does mix at all in the monoblock, it only mixes as it emerges from the spouts.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick responses. The tap has a long swan neck and is effectively a single tube from the top of the tap base to the end. It seems therefore it's only meant for balanced systems. Is there a handy valve I can utilise ? Am I limited to the check (anti-reverse) valve ?

Thanks !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back