kitchen nightmare - rounded screw advice

S

snadge

we are nearing the end of our kitchen build but its turning into a nightmare - the gas man (who even though was 'gas-safe' seemed to be a bit of a 'lazy cowboy' to me) has put his bend to far forward and our oven is 20mm short of going in all the way... we called him back but i could tell he wasnt interested , he said he would TRY to get back over sometime (he lives 150 yards away)- he burnt AND stained our new oak worktop with his flux and something hot - i didnt think he would be stupid enough to put his gear on our new oak worktop fitted just hours earlier - now, she (the girlfriend) has realised that a blank spacer she decided to leave out was there for a purpose, to move all the units along so the corner unit door handle wouldnt stop the top drawer (cutlery drawer) from opening - so now i have to unscrew the units from worktop and corner unit and move them along - thing is because I cant get the drawers out i cant screw out one of the screws into worktop and i have rounded it off trying with the drill from underneath inside a drawer - the drawers are crappy IKEA things and seem to be fixed permanently - now I have a rounded off screw I cant get out and could end up with no cutlery drawer and a botched gas job thats gunna have to be paid TWICE to get done properly...

can anyone advise about the screw problem? it sticks out by 5mm - i was thinking of clawing it out but dont think i can get claw hammer in - its dug in quite a bit too so would be tough - ive tried to get my pliers onto it but it just wont grip.

thanks

Sponsored Links
21923.jpg

yes mole grips

There are usually a couple of catches on the underside of the draw runners, push these in as you pull the draw out, lifting it at the same time and the draw will come out.

Jason

Sponsored Links
For screws like yours I tend to use a pair of sidecutters, the sort electrians use. These will bite into the screw to give you grip to turn it. The screw is absolutely shagged by the time it comes out mind :D

thanks for the replies...

the gas man never turned up as he said he would... or the next day...

the screw still wont come out - i tried to drill it out by drilling holes all around it but it surrounded by other metal fixings which get in the way so no good.. i tried to cut off with small hacksaw then drop unit under and try and cut off level with bottom of worktop but hacksaw wouldnt cut through it...i thought of molegrips but i dont have any... will probs have to buy some just for this bloody screw lol...

as for the drawers, after searching online it seems these are problematic drawers - there are no catches or screws, however following someone else advice who had same problem we got them off using two screwdrivers to 'pop' them off the runners... I just hope theyre not broken...

I will buy some mole grips tomoz and let you know how i get on

thanks

i'd like to take back everything I said about our gasman - he came back today and not only fixed the gas problem for free but also removed my screw with his long adjustable pliers :) - i had just been out and bought some mole grips for £3.99 aswell only minutes earlier :LOL: - took him 5 seconds to do whats taking me 2 days and still not done it haha - so i gave him another £10 tip to get a couple of drinks... he refused to take it at first but i forced it upon him...

thanks for everyones help here...

P.S. the guy at tool shop recommend using hacksaw to put a groove in the top of the head so you can get a flat head in to unscrew it, which I though was a good idea and thought I would mention it here...

thanks again :)

thems the ones... im gunna take the mole grips back and see if I can swap for those

no do not do that the mole grips have a stronger grip the water pump pliers. both are a must have tool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back