Kitchen advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So in a moment of madness we (the Mrs) decided to get quotes etc for our kitchen replacement any way we got a good deal on the units pre built with white slab doors and are now currently sat in the dinning room lol

Any way I am a little confused at what to do about worktops. the laminates tend to be 600 - 610mm wide and the solid wood (oak) tend to be 640mm so do I pull the units forward? my only problem with that is the end panel will not go all the way to the back then.

Our units are 3m wide on back wall left wall will be tall larder and right side is sink and drawers both into blind corner.

Sponsored Links
600mm is a standard size for all worktop types, laminate, solid wood etc, wider are available as required.

I get that @foxhole but my confusion is what you do with the excess trim it off or pull the units forward? I have however found some solid oak at 620mm wide now so might just get those

You don't say how deep your units are but generally they are engineered so that there's a slight overhang to the worktop, and also there's enough space between the unit and the wall to run services, pipes etc. You can decide the overhang you want, and you can hence decide how much to stand the units off the wall (you'd fasten a batten to the wall to provide a uniform standoff, and also something to then fasten the units to, or you can fix the units to the wall directly.)

For end panels, you don't generally rely on looking at the side of the cabinet carcass as the finished colour - chiefly because carcasses often don't come in the same colour range and finish as the doors do. For this purpose the kitchen manuf will also provide a plain panel, finished to match the doors. This panel should be wider then the carcass is deep, so that you can trim it to be flush to the wall, and hide the entire side of the carcass, possibly even slicking out at the front so the door face sits flush with the edge of the panel, rather than the carcass front edges being flush with it. This is part of what goes to making an "inframe" kitchen

Sponsored Links
The extra depth on the worktops are for various reasons . some people like a 50 mm overhang on the front of the carcases , some only 30 mm. Also the extra material can be used to scribe into the wall to get a really good fit if the walls are not dead straight and you are not tiling . basiclly just cut off the unwanted depth .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back