Kitchen Plinth Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any recommendations for DECENT LED Plinth Lighting solutions?

When I fitted the Kitchen 4 years ago, I fitted the LED Tape strips all round. I bought them from a company called StrictlyLED, so not the bottom of the barrel or so I thought.

The lights have been super-unreliable. They flicker, they're all different brightness levels/colours and they don't stick very well.

I'd prefer hidden strip lights, but need something better. In the absence of other suggestions, I'll probably go for the Sensio Puro lights, which are small round surface mounted lights.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
downlights.co.uk do good ones. And you can get a u-channel to fit them into, that is screwed to the surface so no glue failing issues

They can supply lengths pre-soldered too, as that's what I found was the cause of flickering... replying on push on connections.

Sponsored Links
I bought LED strips from a cheap eBay seller in China and they have been faultless. I run them off an old 12v wallwort from a discarded Freeview box.

Yes, getting them to stick can be a bit hit and miss - but TBH I doubt there is much to differentiate the actual LED strips. When I did the under cabinet lights in the kitchen, I bought some of this aluminium channel and cover on the basis that it would a) diffuse the light and b) catch the strip if/when it starts peeling off.
And as mentioned, solder the connections. Ideally, on a long run, you should feed it in the middle so that voltage drops are less of an issue - you roughly ¼ the volt drop compared to feeding at one end. And make sure that the power supply (aka "driver") is powerful enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back