kitchen plinth lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , just looking for ideas regarding lighting for my kitchen unit plinth , my kitchen units go in a right angle , I have a socket outlet in cuboard from left hand side , the only obstacle I seem to have is an inbuilt dishwasher with the door coming downwards ( if that's considered an obstacle ) im am not sure whats best LED strip or singular lights drilled into plinth .
Any ideas appreciated .
Regrads
Howy .

Sponsored Links
It does seem slugs don't like light, and plinth lighting left on all the time seems to have cured the slug problem, but to save power on a timer so only powered at night, as to how installed and controlled it will depend why you want them, we installed them really so we could see to the kettle without turning on main light, so anyone passing is unlikely to realise we are in a state of undress, although in winter still would not walk into kitchen like that as no leaves on the bushes outside, but in the main it is how the lights are switches that changes how they are fitted, mine are switched from a wifi socket with both timed switch and remote switching.

So how do you intend to switch, and why do you want plinth lights, my son to start with had them switched from a socket, and once he had shown off how they worked, were not switched on, as the kitchen was completed he put them off a switch which is one of three as you walk into kitchen so he can select how many lights, so now both dado and plinth lights used, but plinth lights are hardly required, unless your Turkish and cook on the floor, so unless switched auto or with main lights, once you have shown off with them, likely never used again.

I don't often come on this forum and just my luck I get a reply from a space cadet

OK tried to add a little humour, however @John Double u twa says so 90's, I think we all went through the stages, 50 mm spot lights on lighting track in the 70's Habitat of course, and as Habitat went so Ikea came in, I drilled the plinth, because my wife went to Ikea and came back with the daft things from the reduced to clear bin, and if she who must be obeyed says they need fitting they need fitting, need new plinth anyway water has expanded the wood so no harm in fitting them for a while.

I also put Christmas lights on a tree in December, have little boxes with men that pop out and plays music, I am into Christmas in a big way, SA_PROFILE_CACHE.jpg I even look like FC. But it's a bit of fun, it's not serious lighting, so lighten up. Fit what you like, strip likely the better option as it falls off in time so no holes to fill in latter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John and Eric , yes it is her indoors idea and I need to try and swerve this one but just thought I would look into it .
Regards Howy

No worries, Mount tape like this:
upload_2020-2-12_13-26-46.png
not this
upload_2020-2-12_13-31-57.png

As Eric says it will fall off soon and even sooner in option 1but in the meantime the lit plinth and floor looks nicer than option 2.

As to being 90's... I assisted with a kitchen last summer and the plinth board came with a plastic arrangement for LED strip to clip on the top:
upload_2020-2-12_13-58-17.png
The 'correct' [expensive] tape clipped into internal grooves without using any adhesive. It was an absolute PITA to fit but once fitted totally secure.

We used a 3 position rotary switch: Left-off, middle-plinth, right-plinth and main light.

Many thanks sunray , I like the idea option 1 just one thing seems to be a stumbling block , I have a built in dishwasher with pull down door and it looks as if it will interfere with the strip lighting as you can imagine what is the place to stick to on 90% of the plinths becomes a moving object via the dishwasher , any ideas how to get over this .
howy

Many thanks sunray , I like the idea option 1 just one thing seems to be a stumbling block , I have a built in dishwasher with pull down door and it looks as if it will interfere with the strip lighting as you can imagine what is the place to stick to on 90% of the plinths becomes a moving object via the dishwasher , any ideas how to get over this .
howy
If there is a suitable place to stick LED tape to match the rest then the option is to cut a seperate piece for the DW and have a 'flying lead for it. You will have to ensure it's secured to something other that the tape or it will fail very quickly.

I know several people with plinth lights who use them regularly, as I mentioned earlier they had to be on before the main lights. some even fit PIR controlled aluminium extruded fittings running on AAA batteries so the plinths are on when the kitchen is occupied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back