Kitchen Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I passed my C&G 2330 2 years ago but havent worked in the electrical industry since due to other opportunities. However, a friend of mine is having a new kitchen done and would like me to do their electrics. This involves adding in a few extra sockets in addition to the existing ones, a few low down single sockets for appliances with fused spurs controlling them above the work surfaces and repositioning of the cooker switch. The Kitchen circuit is currently on the same circuit as the downstairs ring (only one other room) and the cooker is on a 32A breaker run in 6mm T&E. The problem is that their consumer unit is an old style Dorman Smith with BS3871 fuses but they are the screw connection one and not the clip in breakers. This means that I cannot get an RCD to fit in this board. Is there anyway I can do this work without fitting an RCD? If not does that mean I'm going to have to fit a new board or is there some other way I can do it (ie fitting an additional RCD unit near the consumer unit). I also am aware that I need building control to certificate the work. Hope that all makes sense and hope someone can help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could supply an external RCD from what would have been the downstairs ring final MCB then connect the downstairs ring final circuit to the load side of the RCD.

Personally I'd prefer a consumer unit upgrade to a twin RCD board or standard board with RCBO's.

Thanks very much. I'll probably go with the first option as my friends want to keep the cost down as much as they can. In terms of the cooker, that doesn't need to be on an rcd does it? Also I'm going to have to extend the existing 6mm T&E from where the existing cooker switch is, to where the new cooker switch will be (about 8m extension). I'm sure this is okay as long as the point of extension is accessible but just thought I'd double check.

If the cable supplying the cooker is standard twin and earth and buried at a depth of less than 50mm with no mechanical protection (capping doesn't count) then it'll require protection via a 30mA RCD.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back