kitchen ring - too many cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just moved into a house that had a pro re-wire, but the kitchen wasn't complete. 3 circuits labelled at the consumer - sockets/hob/oven. Cables into the kitchen are: 2x 2.5mm T&E(for the sockets ring I think) , and 2x fatter T&E labelled Hob and Oven. So I know what they're meant for ok, but there is also a heavy guage earth cable on its own? I'm running a 3.6KW oven plus halogen hob, would these need a dedicated earth or would the earth in the T&E be heavy enough? Thanks in advance :confused:

Sponsored Links
The Earth core in the cables feeding the circuits is more than sufficient for the tasks required of them, just ensure that they are sleeved in Green/Yellow sleeving.

The Large Earth core you have is likely to be a main bond, either from the Gas main in, or the Mains water in. If you have a Gas meter, check where the meter is and see if there is a cable clamped to the pipe on YOUR side of the meter.

Also, check where the water enters the building, there will be a stop-cock, within 600mm of this, again on your side of the stop-cock, should be an Earth connection.

Regardless of Gas/Water bond, if it is terminated at that end, then you simply need to terminate it in the spare Bond terminals of the Earth bar in the consumer unit..if it is not connected at the other end, then you need to ensure this is properly clamped onto the pipe using a BS951 EC15 Earth Clamp and crimp lugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back