Kitchen sink Mono mixer tap - vibrating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever someone opens another tap in the house, this kitchen tap starts to vibrate quite loud, time to replace its inner 1/4turn valve? Not sure how to go about it without buggering it up.

Vibration is strange, often it sets on when you open another tap, other times when you open another tap nothing happens and when you close it the really loud vibrations starts.

The tap is very very similar to this style:
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...dck5heL887eeJ_xrBbBZrd4gTfKuxLIoOBBoCOpnw_wcB

Sponsored Links
Yes I can try that but my feeling is it may not cure the problem, secondly It has been dripping for a while now, you get one drop every say 5 seconds roughly, so i got a feeling I will need to replace the inner valve, but how do I get to itt innards?

Going by logic, one can assume the actual tap handles need to come undone, using malgrips, remove these spindle like handle, and one may then find further lead in undoing it further, such as there may be another screw inside that may need undoing, but if you have already done it let me know please. Save me wrenching off something that is not supposed to be wrenched off.

how do I get to itt innards?

The vibration and the drip are unlikely to be connected.

1) The drip is a worn 1/4 turn ceramic cartridge. To replace the cartridge the handle(s) need to be removed. Either the end cap on each handle will unscrew or pop off (thin blade behind the cap). Behind the end cap there will be a screw. Less likely, the bar may unscrew to release the handle. Once the handle is off the the cartridge will be evident and can be removed. Take the handle and the cartridge to a decent independent plumber's merchants to get a replacement or try here http://www.shop.lunns.net/ceramic-disc-valves-42-c.asp

2) A quick cure for the vibration is to alter the incoming flow rate - either increase or decrease. Harder is finding out what's causing the vibration - the favourite candidate is usually a cistern float-valve.

Sponsored Links
Found a grub screw opposite to the handle bar, using a 2mm Hexagon drive I managed to remove the screw, but the handle bar won't budge, it won't slide out despite giving it a fair amount of force and blows, so for now I have put some WD40 and will take a look at it a bit later, once the handle bar body slides out, I should be able to remove the cartridge cover to get to the cartridge I believe.

And yes I tried to reduce the water flow and it does tend to stop a little, but still vibrates but at much lower level, whereas before it was mighty loud, almost like a hammer drill. It does stop completely but the water flow is down to trickle!

Stuck absolutely solid, so I had no choice other than to use force, in so doing the brass spline shaft broke (just as well I was going to put a new one on) so now off to Wickes to see if I can get one like it. (Ceramic cartridge) water is turned off from service valves under the sink. Thanks for your help much appreciated.

( I am bit like a Police, if you can't restraint an offender by asking him to cooperate, you then have to use reasonable force, I tried that, the offender didn't want to budge, so i tried pepper spray (WD40) but it seemed to have no effect on the offender, so then used a few light blows (Taser Gun) that seemed to be doing nothing, the offender must be wearing thick coat, (badly scaled) to stop the taser penetrating, so in the end I just shot the ****ing thing and so i am ever so pleased, with myself, now will there be a public enquiry, so be it, if need be I will shoot another ****er if all warnings are ignored! )

Still need to get the broken half of the spline out of the stainless steel handle, will probably require drilling out just right to get as much brass head out of it.

You will be lucky getting the brass spline shaft out of the tap head if it's didn't budge to the point of it snapping. You may be better off just getting a set of tap revivers, they will come with new heads.

I drilled it out just the right amount so it has come off, sadly my local Wickes didn't have the exact type I wanted, so I came back and searched on ebay, the number of splines on this appear to be more of a fine type and may be as many as 24 or more, but the ones on Ebay are 20splines and I can otherwise get the exact size and dimension in type VR06 form one of the sellers there, but with 20splines. I will have to order that and adapt it, not an awful lot of force required to turn these taps on and off, so hopefully 20 splines may do the job for now, as well as the grub screw holding it tight in position and stop it from slipping if the splines don't. I have for now temporarily put the old one back so it is usable to some extent (had solder a screw into the rest of the shaft and engaged it with the handle for now. the vibrations are still there though much lesser now. Will definitely need a new one. (VR06 is nearest I can use from tap-magician on ebay) Newboy's recommended site to get the replacement valves at £56.00 for a pair seems to cost more than the cost of new monoblock!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back