Kitchen sink tap removal ??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My kitchen sink tap needs replacing. I have attached a couple of photos. Questions:

(1) Do I undo the flexible tap hoses at the cope pipe joints (compression joints) OR

(2) Do I leave the flexible tap hoses in place and somehow undo the hoses at the base of the existing tap, which is currently out of sight. If so, how are they attached to the base of the existing tap and what tool(s) / other bits & pieces do I need for the job?

Many thanks for your useful advice.

Mutley56
[/img]

Sponsored Links
undo copper to flexi nut, grab hold of flexi and if you're lucky it will unscrew. repeat with other and undo nut on base of tap. if flexis don't unscrew, undo nut and draw tap up through worksurface and unscrew or cut off. you will probably need a tube spanner to undo the tap retainer- can get at any diy store.

Thanks for the reply. If I understand this correctly, the order of work is:
1) Turn off water at isolation valves.
2) Undo compression joints between copper supply pipes and the flexible pipes.
3) Undo nut holding base of tap to the underside of the work top.
4) Pull tap and flexi-pipes out through top of sink and remove the flexible pipes from the old tap.
5) Pass new tap base through the sink and reconnect the flexible hoses to the copper pipes.

Question: Is it likely to be a straight forward task to pull the compression joints apart between the copper pipe and flexible hoses and then reconnect them without causing them to leak once the water supply is restored?

Thanks.

Question: Is it likely to be a straight forward task to pull the compression joints apart between the copper pipe and flexible hoses and then reconnect them without causing them to leak once the water supply is restored?

Thanks.[/quote]
That is probably the easiest bit.

Sponsored Links
wingcoax, what is most likely to be the most difficult part, I know access is an issue but I'll unscrew the waste and use an adjustable tap wrench?

Thanks.

Thanks HERTSDRAINAGE2010, I understand.

Please bear with me, but can you kindly confirm that I need to separate the compression joints between the copper feed pipes and the flexi-hoses to remove the tap, rather than try to undo the opposite ends of the flexi-hoses that are attached to the existing tap. I ask, as I am concerned that the compression joints might leak once reconnected also whether the joints might not separate easily in the first place.

Thanks.

Mutley56

You will really struggle to undo at the tap end, if done up tight after reassembly there should be no problem. Good luck.

Right.

Turn off isolation valves leading to the mixer tap, I take it they are fitted?
Turn on hot and cold to make sure the water is off.

Undo the flexible tails connectors from the copper pipework, NOT FROM THE TAP. Water will come out but only half a cup full.

Undo the mixer tap from the sink with the box spanners I showed earlier.

Lift tap from sink, and pull out the flexible connectors.

Refit as above in reverse.

Apply some LSX on the compression joints when refitting the flexible tails to the copper pipe work.

Andy other question?

When fitting new flexible tails to a new tap, always wrap around PTFE tape around the thread that goes into the base of the tap. 3 or 4 turns will do.

Andy

Please don't be insulted for this question as I don't know about LSX, but is LSX OK to use on this job as drinking water and washing up water is taken from the kitchen tap?

Many thanks for the advice. When I get the tap 'Franke' I'll post an update on the result.

Cheers.

Mutley56

Problem, I couldn't undo one of the flexi tap hose ends at the point where it joins the copper feed pipe. The other pipe and flexi pipe undid easily.

As a solution, I thought of cutting off the flexi pipe and purchasing a new longer one as a replacement.

This seems straight forward and so I think I must be over looking something, am I?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mutley56

You need two spanners or grips and hold one side still while you turn the other side anti clockwise. It will give and come undone, eat at least 3 shredded Weet before hand.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back