kitchen sockets keep tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
they keep tripping when I stick anything around 1800w in it. like a heater. breaker is 32a. plug test showed all plugs are fine

Sponsored Links
More info needed:
What trips - MCB or RCD?
What tester? One of those plug-in beepers? Useful for some things but not for diagnosing trips.
Is it a ring final circuit or a radial? 2.5mm cable or 4mm? Or other?
What happens if you plug in anything else?

PJ

What else is running at the same time when you plug in this 1800W?

Sponsored Links
2.5 mm wire and it's the RCD what trips and it was a small plug I stuck into the wall with lights that flashed on it for testing it. it was A 1800w heater I pluged in to make it trip

I've tried my chopsaw which is 1200 w and my little 4" grinder which both cuts it out without any heater in it

With so little info this is a guess. I will guess an earth - neutral fault could be on anything. As you increase the load the voltage difference between earth and neutral increases until it reaches a point where the magic 15 - 30 ma will flow and make the earth leakage device (RCD) trip.

I would remove ALL items plugged into or powered from that RCD. If only two RCD's fitted that could include items like the immersion heater. Not at the consumer unit as that is single pole but at the fused connection unit (FCU) as that will be all pole switching.

Then try heater. If still trips heater fault, if not then something you have switched off or unplugged. Then start putting items back on a few at a time and retry heater until you work out what has the earth - neutral fault.

Remember only a guess. But from what you say I think very likely that's the problem. Good look finding it.

thanks for reply's and sorry for the little info. I have just noticed the rcd test switch does not work?????? I know little about electrics so I'm not working with it myself.

If the test button doesn't work then you need a new RCD.
You will probably be better employing an electrician to replace the RCD and find the problem.

I have had test buttons fail many times with three phase RCD's used with single phase and since I test with a RCD tester it is easy to forget to try using button. But the test gear is far too expensive to be worth doing DIY it's time to get some one in.

I've had a couple of RCBOs go bang when pressing the test button :eek:

I tend to prod them in with an insulated screwdriver these days.

RF arrives to carry out an EICR.....

suitit.jpg

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back