Kitchen Taps - replacing mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Never had to do any plumbing before, so apologies if this is either simple or stupid (or both).

One of the taps on our kitchen taps has sheared off - and I imagine that all you can do in this situation is replace the set, I don't have any plumbing tools to hand, but can always pick some up when I pick up a new tap.

I think the tap is about 10 years old (age of the house), so doubt I could pick up an exact replacement, but just wondered if those experienced with this sort of thing could confirm that it should be a relatively straightforward job (although fiddly given the room under the sink) or if it's likely to be something more complex?

Thanks,
TFT

Attachments

• IMG_4931.JPG
    IMG_4931.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4932.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response, and yes - snapped! The remaining spindle where the tap once was has very little left to it - quite shallow, and not enough grooves for any screws to catch on-to.

if you can get away with that kit you can do it with a screwdriver and adjustable spanner

Sponsored Links
How does the Tap Reviver work? As mentioned the tap has sheared off so there's not a lot for any new screws to go into, it would probably need to be something that went over and clamped onto the remaining stump? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious on the link (description, more pictures) but would like to see how it works!

the bit that has sheared off is the tap head and the valve is still in the tap body. Them kits give you a new valve and tap head to screw in to the tap body.

this guy expalins it badly but i think you will get the idea if you just get the standard reviver kit and not arse about like he did lol

But he's the Ultimate Handyman! If he's arsing around what chance do I stand!

I was going to ask a question about the pipes next (there's no isolation valves - just solid pipe straight up) but it seems to be something that I wouldn't have to worry about.

Will probably replace the tap in the long run (or pay someone to do it, depending on how this goes...) but thanks for the help

I was going to ask a question about the pipes next (there's no isolation valves - just solid pipe straight up) but it seems to be something that I wouldn't have to worry about.
Erm .... yes it is .... you certainly do need to worry about it.

You need to isolate both hot and cold supplies before swapping either the valves or the tap. The reviver kit will sort it in minutes as long as the valves release easily, they might take a good tug.

Sorry - yes - aware of switching water off, etc. I was meaning more about having to alter pipes to fit any new taps and that the current pipes were rather solid in comparison to some of the nicer examples (isolation valves, etc) that I had seen on Google.

Just get a plumber out, buy the tap in advance and let him come and fit it.

Otherwise you will end up flooding your home.

It will also save you buying various tools.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back