Kitchen Top Wood Varnish - can it be used on chopping boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some boards that need "seasoning" as I understand it is called.

Previously, I kept a load of wood stain for our old kitchen wooded work top. Surely this is as suitable as some ludicrously expensive small tin of oil with chopping board written on it?

I can’t see why not. I have read elsewhere and tried other oils as advised, but I don’t get s suitable finish. The kitchen when installed and coated with this was incredible.

Cheers.....Q

Sponsored Links
When you say you've tried some oils have you tried virgin olive oil, it's by far the best for food use...pinenot :)

When you say you've tried some oils have you tried virgin olive oil, it's by far the best for food use...pinenot :)

Yes, I used this originally on a chopping board and it went green. I then learnt Olive Oil unlike others is not suitable for chopping boards (but also find a lot of counter evidence) I wont go down that road again. It was an expensive mistake.

Short question. Kitchen Wood Top stain, as for kitchen worktop, is it suitabel for unseasoned chopping boards? GOt to be yes no? You dont put toxic finishes on preperation surfaces (strickly I know you do not chop direct on side).

Cheers.....Q

What make and name is this wood stain, see if we can throw some light on it...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
What make and name is this wood stain, see if we can throw some light on it...pinenot :)

Rustin's Danish Oil. Low Wipe on low lustre finish. Does say on the tin (just seen this on teh bloody side) suitabel for turned wood and one looks like a shallow tray.

Cheers.....Q

Or hardwax oil. You can buy sample tins on ebay and elsewhere avoiding the cost of a full one. Many if not all are food safe, but do check the datasheet first.

Or hardwax oil. You can buy sample tins on ebay and elsewhere avoiding the cost of a full one. Many if not all are food safe, but do check the datasheet first.

As I laready have this oil I would like to use this.

However, if it proves a no go, then thanks for the alternative solution.

Q

Rustins state their danish oil is food safe, so there shouldn't be any problems...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back