Kitchen unit problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, we have a problem with a gadget within the kitchen floor units, I think it is called a carousel, it's fitted into a corner unit so the void in the corner can be used for storage. Anyway ours is knackered, does anyone know if it can be replaced easily.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
It should be possible to take the doors off, cut the old carousel post out with a recip saw and get it out, but getting a new one in through the opening without getting the worktops off could be a little bit like building a ship in a bottle. Here's a video showing the process

Easy enough with the cabinet on a bench (as in this example) - somewhat more awkward when it's installed in a corner

Last edited by a moderator:
Iirc, the plastic bracket(?) at the top and bottom of the metal post can be unscrewed and slid up/ down the pole to free the pole, but im not sure that the shelves will slide out of the opening.

Sponsored Links
do you have photos , we had 4 fitted in out wickes kitchen, due to an error, we had the wrong size sent and so when the replacements arrived they where fitted after the cabinets and worktop all fitted , and we had one removed as we decided not to have a carousel in that particular cabinet on the bottom shelf, and they did go in and out easy enough.
So i would expect it to come out and a replacement (not necessarily same make) be available.
Any idea whos units they are.
Also I fitted into some MFI units in 2007

i've fitted these with worktops already on, bit fiddly and a tight squeeze in a cupboard to get screws and brackets fitted but do-able

Last one I fitted was mainly plastic with sectional pole which made it straightforward to fit with top in place .

Hi All, and thanks again for the replies.

The kitchen was supplied & fitted by Magnet about 16 years ago. The gadget in question is not 2 round baskets but 4 oblong chrome trays. To gain access the front panel is pulled out revelling the 1st 2 trays pulling the front panel further revels the next 2. The problem is the panel will not pull any further than the first stage so access to the 3rd & 4th tray is not possible. The mechanism is a complex arrangement of heavy metal which has seen better days. When we purchased the kitchen it was top of the range wooden doors which are still in very condition, for this reason it is not time for the kitchen to be replaced. I don't believe that it would be possible to find a local kitchen fitter who would be to willing to fit a new one, if a new one can be fitted, so we will live for now without the rear trays.

Thanks again for the replies,
Brian.

is this the unit

https://www.magnet.co.uk/accessories/innovations/soft-closing-pull-swing-corner-unit/

I would suspect a competent handyman may be able to assist, may not need a kitchen fitter specifically.

Or ask Magnet and Southern for some names of people who may assist , you never know , maybe they have a competent lad who works with the kitchen fitter son/etc may want to pick up some extra money. Thats how my Nephew got into building and decorating working with a guy, hes now freelance and did a lot of decorating and helped with a kitchen fitting, and earning some extra money at weekend.

This one the guy is installing with the cabinet/worktop in place

Hafell also seem to make them

Last edited:
So a blind corner and NOT a carousel...

Bit more awkward to retrofit than a carousel

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back