kitchen units directly on to thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I want to mount some old kitchen units on the wall in my garage. The walls are just painted aerated (thermalite?) block.
Question is, what fixings do i use to secure the units to the wall?

Ive done a search and it seems some people use frame fixings, some use brown plugs, some use resin. The range of solutions is quite varied. I want the easiest option possible (but obviously appropriate for the application as cupboards will be filled with heavy stuff).

What should i use please?
Direct links to products from screwfix and toolstation would be great as i have both nearby.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Although not the best substrate to drill in to, you can get away with it if your drilling is really precise i.e the chosen drill size is exact, and the plug is a tight fit. Therefore drill up in stages.
Personally I'd go for an 8mm Fischer plug - with splines to prevent it spinning - and glue it in with no nails or PVA glue.
For sure, you should have a timber bearer under the cupboards (2" x 1" for example) to take the vertical load. Get that bit right and you are half way there.
John :)

Thanks for that John.
Couldn't post a couple of links to those Fischer plugs could you? Toolstation have started doing them, but I can't tell one from another. Or Screwfix?

With regards to the timber bearer, you say BELOW the cabinets? Do you mean a battern BEHIND the cabinets and then screw through the backs of the cabinets into the battern?
Or do you mean a supporting beam below the cabinet so that is actually sits on it?

I guess the below method makes good sense. Fitted to the wall in the same way you just mentioned?

I think he means a support beam below for them to sit on. That's how I've done it before when strength matters more than cosmetics.

Makes the cupboards easier to fit too as you can rest them on the beam while screwing in the upper fittings

Sponsored Links
I think he means a support beam below for them to sit on. That's how I've done it before when strength matters more than cosmetics.

Makes the cupboards easier to fit too as you can rest them on the beam while screwing in the upper fittings

Thanks for that John.
Couldn't post a couple of links to those Fischer plugs could you? Toolstation have started doing them, but I can't tell one from another. Or Screwfix?

With regards to the timber bearer, you say BELOW the cabinets? Do you mean a battern BEHIND the cabinets and then screw through the backs of the cabinets into the battern?
Or do you mean a supporting beam below the cabinet so that is actually sits on it?

I guess the below method makes good sense. Fitted to the wall in the same way you just mentioned?

My own personal favourite are Screwfix 90467 - they have a spline at the head that cuts in and prevents spinning. If you get it wrong then you can go up one size, of course.
The bearer I mentioned is for the cabinet bases to sit on - which makes hanging them a darn sight easier too :p

These are going up in the garage so cosmetic appearance is not that important. Obviously, staying in the wall is!!

Thanks for this guys.

Any chance of some links to the actual plugs to go for? Also, what size screws?

Thanks again.

Screw diameter = 5mm, you should find they work fine and expand the plug nicely. 50mm long with countersink holes in the bearer will be fine.
Spax screws for me :p

Thanks for the item number. I was already considering those but wasn't sure they'd be long enough?

What screws do I go for? Link again please?
Am I using these plugs for the supporting beam too? These will need longer screws though, right (to allow for thinkness of beam??)

I appreciate the spoon feeding guys!!
:oops:

Think I'll go down the Fischer plugs route.

What length are the 8mm ones? Looking at the pics, it seems you need to go longer then the actual plug length in order to get the 4 way expansion thing going?

And what about the universal ones from Fischer? Reading some of the user reviews (Screwfix) suggest they are good in aerated blocks.

From memory I think the 8mm dia plugs are 50mm in length, so just drill a little deeper than that.....feel free to glue them in - does no harm!
All Fischer products are good - top of their league. I don't use anything else.

OK I'll get the Fischer plugs that you said.

So the Spax screws should be 5 x 50? The ones on screwfix are wood screws. Is that ok for nylon plugs?

Yep, they should be fine.....its not a bad idea to drill a test hole just to see how things go - if you feel that a 5mm screw is a little heavy then try a 4.5mm screw instead.

Trouble is, these things are nearly ten pounds a box so don't want to buy stuff I wont end up using.

With regards to the support beam, you say 2 by 1 inch. Does it matter what it is? Just something cheap and cheerful from Wickes?

How far in do you couter sink into the support beam?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back