kitchen wall switch to ceiling pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, to make space in kitchen I am contemplating to

1) install sliding door

2) remove 1gang 1 way wall switch that sliding door would now cover (I cant slide it other way)

3) install ceiling pull cord switch (6amp single pole 1way) to control light

would be notifiable I think

OR

4) move wall switch to outside of kitchen wall so that it is now on hallway wall (is this notifiable and/or abnormal?). I am not sure how this is done (junction box or chocbox, blank plate where switch was in kitchen and usual box on other side of wall to fit switch?)

Any thoughts advice or cautions/regulations on this welcome, especially the way to go about (4).

many thanks

Sponsored Links
1) can you fit sliding door on other side of the wall(in the hallway)?2) changing to a pull switch not notifiable3)if the switch is going exactly opposite on the other side of the wall then drill through the wall & turn old switch drop into junction box to extend the cable as you suggest.

thanks for reply

I cant put door in hallway as it would destroy female decorating efforts...

"if the switch is going exactly opposite on the other side of the wall then drill through the wall & turn old switch drop into junction box to extend the cable as you suggest"

A question is, what do I do where the original switch was? If I put junction box in it and lead to the other side of the wall, do I still have to place a blank cover plate over where the original switch was??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back