Kitchen Waste pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Our kitchen sink was backing up and taking a while to drain so I took a look underneath and I'm guessing this is not exactly quality plumbing work we're talking about here.

I disconnected the waste pipe leading from the sink into the pipework and emptied out a bit of gunge. I think the blockage is further along the pipe though so was planning on using some kind of drain cleaner but my concern now is that where the waste pipe enters the white section it's now leaking - it's just really loose so I need some way to connect those two bits properly. It didn't seem particularly well connected when I took it out - just a bit of sealant holding it in place. Amazed it hasn't leaked before.

I'm also guessing the fact that that middle section is angled upwards is probably a bad thing and that it should really be angled downwards so it can drain. Was thinking if I cut off a few cm from the top of that vertical pipe on the far right (behind the waste pipe from the dishwasher next to the sink) then it would mean the pipe would be angled downwards but don't want to do anything too complicated.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
That is a bodge and a half. You will probably never get it right using that setup and it is likely to leak if you ever knock it when putting stuff under the sink.

It would be fairly simple to change the waste and repipe.

Sink drain flexi looks like ikea and as you said should run downwards
As for the rest, it would be hard to make it look worse.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the comments.

I might just try and patch it up as best I can temporarily and then as you say, get someone to rip it out and replace.

If it's leaking at the white section, remove the threaded end, clean the rubber washer what is underneath it & the pipework is was on, replace on the pipe and remake the connection.

That should solve your problem for now, but, you could probably renew the whole thing yourself without too much difficulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back