Kitchen wiring - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
** I appreciate that similar questions have been asked on this forum - but when I searched, a lot of the questions were several years old - and I'm trying to establish what I need to do to comply with the current regs ... so sorry in advance if I'm repeating here **

Several years ago I relocated my kitchen to a different room in the house. I utilized the existing 32amp ring main for the 13amp sockets and added a new circuit for a hob - 40 amp circuit breaker, 6mm cable and a fused connection unit. I understand now that I shouldn't have carried out the work.

As I've decided to sell the house I'm trying to work out the cheapest / best / most legit way to get the work certified. I've been getting up to speed on Part P, notified work etc but am still confused about my best course of action ...

From what I understand I have three options

1. Contact Building Control and submit a Buliding Notice application. I understand that they will then instruct a qualified electrician to .... and this is where I get confused - do they instruct the electrician to carry out the installation again, or just to test the installation ?. If the latter then do I still receive full Part P certification or some lesser certificate ?

2. I can get a Part P qualified electrician to wire the kitchen again from scratch. Am I correct in assuming that they can't just test / certify my wiring ?

3. Get an Electrical Installation Condition Report. I'm assuming that this would not suffice as it's notifiable work - but again - more confusion.

Yeah I know - next time I'll do it right in the first place ...

I appreciate that I could just contact an electrician to get a quote / advice on best way forward - but I thought I'd post here first to see if anyone has any advice.

Anyway - thanks for reading and I hope someone can clarify for me

Cheers

Sponsored Links
how many years ago?

part p started 1st jan 2005, the docs you will be sent will probably ask if any work has been carried out since then

If it were me, i'd do an EICR so you've got a piece of paper to wave at prospective buyers showing them the electrics are all good, and simply dont mention it.

The electrics were installed by some electrician many years who didnt leave any paperwork, and you didnt realise you were supposed to get any ;)

Sponsored Links
**If it were me, i'd do an EICR so you've got a piece of paper to wave at prospective buyers showing them the electrics are all good, and simply dont mention it.

The electrics were installed by some electrician many years who didnt leave any paperwork, and you didnt realise you were supposed to get any **

Unfortunately - I have to apply for Building Notice for other works that I've done - Installing new staircase, creating a through room, creating new kitchen etc - so they will be visiting to approve this work - so I'm presuming they want to see that the electrics are Part P certified too ...

Unfortunately - I have to apply for Building Notice for other works that I've done - Installing new staircase, creating a through room, creating new kitchen etc - so they will be visiting to approve this work - so I'm presuming they want to see that the electrics are Part P certified too ...

Oh dear, fingers crossed they are having a good day when they come to visit you!

Well just blag it and say you've lost the paperwork or they didnt issue any and see what happens then!

Not much else you can do if they're already coming to inspect the place!

yeah - cheers rjm. I think in the circumstance my best bet is to get an electrician round and see what they would charge to " do whatever is needed to comply with Part P " - whatever that entails

I could blag it - but if I'm getting the rest of the stuff approved - might as well go the whole hog. I'm already looking at forking out several hundred for building regs approval for the rest of the work .... that's why it's still probably best to see what an electrician would charge - there's only 4 double sockets and the hob fcu in the whole kitchen - can't cost that much !

Come to think of it ... maybe it was 2004 after all :) I hadn't realised that harmonised wiring came in just before Part P

No - I've phoned a couple of electricians and they're coming round to give me quotes. Not that I have money to burn or anything - and if I hadn't made so many obvious changes to the house then I wouldn't have got Building Control involved at all - but as soon as you step through the frond door it's obvious someones been watching too many episodes of Grand Designs - and having ducked and dived most of my life it feels somewhat cathartic to confess past sins .... all I have to do now is get them passed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back