Kitchen Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of designing a new kitchen which is 8 metres by 4 metres which will all the usual appliances. Am I correct in thinking that if I specify using MK Grid swiches that all appliances have to be within 2 metres.

Sponsored Links
That's a generally accepted guideline for meeting the requirements for accessibility and convenience etc - there's no actual distance prescribed.

Best bet is to discuss it with the person who'll actually be doing the work - she's the one who will have to sign certificates to say that it all complies with the Wiring Regulations and the Building Regulations, so she will have to be happy in her belief that it does comply...

from what I understand abiout grid switches. One feed comes in and several feeds go out in a radial type of wiring. Does this mean you can mix and match appliance and light feeds.

I do not intend doing the wiring myself, I just need a better idea when I talk to the spark

Sponsored Links
You should still retain standard services in the kitchen, a light circuit, a radial for cooker, a ring for appliances.

All grids do is allow you to bank together switches.

So where you have say the washing machine, dish washer, tumble drier bring the ring in to the 1st grid switch, the 2nd and the 3rd and off to the next socket.

From the grid switch(es) load side run to the appliance sub counter connection points, a flex outlet plate.

Result a bank of switches, rather than the normal 3 separate switches above each appliance. Tilers will love you for it.

So where you have say the washing machine, dish washer, tumble drier bring the ring in to the 1st grid switch, the 2nd and the 3rd and off to the next socket.

From the grid switch(es) load side run to the appliance sub counter connection points, a flex outlet plate.

The disadvantage of this is that you then concentrate all of the big loads onto one point on the ring - not good design.

Better to pull in a 32A radial or two to serve the grid switches - MK 20A DP grid switches will support two 4mm conductors per terminal .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back