kitchen wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, this is my first post. Looks like a great site.

I am building new a new kitchen. I will be installing Neff built under circotherm oven (technically 13amp on the ring main?). I will also be installing an electric hob (hav'nt bought it yet, so don't know the load).

The old kitchen had a radial 10mm connection to a cooker control unit for an electric stand alone cooker. Although the fuse for this has been taken out of the consumer unit, I could easily make this available for the new oven/hob situation if needs be.

The property is a victorian conversion 2 bedroom ground floor flat using just one ring main circuit.

Question: How do I best wire & connect the oven and hob?

Sponsored Links
Think you will be asked the power rating of your hob.
Also I am sure someone will ask if you know why the fuse has been removed. .. with several etc's.
P

Fuse at consumer unit removed to make radial safe. Not currently being used.

New hob might be in the region of total connected load of 6.6kW, max draw 29 A.

wot's a part p

Sponsored Links
Come on you lot, wot do I do?

Sling the hob into the ring main? Oven as well?

Both with 13A fused switches above worktop?

I await your erstwhile expert opinions

How long is the 10mm cable and how is it run? Under floorboards, through insulation? Before being able to say what a cable can carry we need to know its installation details.

So the new hob is 3.3Kw (29Amps) and you want to use a 13Amp fused switch, how long do you think the 13amp fuse will last?

As for part p, there are numerous threads already about part p, thats why it is better to have a look (search) rather than going over old ground again (one or two people will get upset)

Excellent Steve

by revealing my ignorance, you have empowered me to move forward.

Wot about then, oven plugged into socket, up to remote fused 13a switch above worktop.

Hob connected to radial (30A fuse at consumer unit)?

The radial is approx. 12metres in length. It travels under floor boards. It is currently popping up embedded in plaster supplying a cooker control box that is not now being used.

I could easily pull it out of the wall, the slack being enough to supply new hob position.

Grateful for your help so far

Chironimid

steve190 said:
So the new hob is 3.3Kw (29Amps) and you want to use a 13Amp fused switch, how long do you think the 13amp fuse will last?
erm are you asuming american mains voltage or are you simply innumerate?!

plugwash said:
steve190 said:
erm are you asuming american mains voltage or are you simply innumerate?!

Whatever that means. At least the current is correct :oops:

I'd assumed that already from your earlier posting.

Just so you understand.

I misread 6.6Kw and typed 3.3Kw but I had already worked out that 6600/230 is 28.69565217 amps, so I rounded it up.

Using the 10mm radial for the hob and the socket for the oven is fine but don't pull that cable through the wall to the hob. Put a junction box on there instead. This will make it a lot easier to remove your hob in future because you won't be left with a live cable hanging out of the wall - like what you've got now (excuse the grammar).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back