Kitchen Worktop joint help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice - having my kitchen redone and the b and q plan shows this cut of the worktop. The sink is as shown. The fitter didn’t look at the sink until after they cut the worktop and then told me I can’t have my sink (or any sink more than 780mm). I can’t find any standard bowl sink that size. They’re now saying they can do it but they’ll need to reinforce under the sink. However that’s going to leave a join under the edge of my draining board. To my mind logically the worktop with the sink should have been one long piece with the joins butting up against it. Would you accept this or should I insist the worktop cuts are changed so no join right by sink (one long length on that wall)? It’s not like I was short of worktop - I need just over 6 metres and had 9 metres. Unfortunately they’ve cut the last length into three so the extra isn’t usable. The only thing from b and q is the units and doors. Am I unreasonable to expect the fitter to have thought this through before they cut and should the be rectifying? Advice greatly apprciated!

Attachments

• 40C6FD15-6A2D-45B6-BB1C-239605C5E83E.jpeg
    40C6FD15-6A2D-45B6-BB1C-239605C5E83E.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 901698A3-999A-4E72-950F-D260DAF9DF99.jpeg
    901698A3-999A-4E72-950F-D260DAF9DF99.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 60E4D35C-60DC-4532-B1B2-6201D6CF0AE9.jpeg
    60E4D35C-60DC-4532-B1B2-6201D6CF0AE9.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 1FB3A22A-BEA9-465B-946A-F64DE4A8A365.jpeg
    1FB3A22A-BEA9-465B-946A-F64DE4A8A365.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 41572A18-3E11-41D1-AFD4-4A7F2EE45C9F.jpeg
    41572A18-3E11-41D1-AFD4-4A7F2EE45C9F.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Depends, is it a package job designed and fitter provided by same firm?
If so, then yes, insist they rectify.

If you provided plans to him, and his remit to to fit as per, then he is following them. He could keep quiet but didn't. That's in his favour.

How much is a new length of worktop?

Thanks - advice on what is fair is greatly appreciated. The contractor is independent - not a b and q fitter. New length of worktop is £190, not the cheapest. I just don’t know if the work around is worth pursuing or if it’s going to cause problems down the line having that join there and the worktop weakened or it would be better to order another length of worktop and have it changed.

Everyone has different views of what is fair, so opinions may differ.

Personally, I'd chalk it up to experience, ask him to fit a new bit and pay for the worktop.

He has extra work to get and cut it, plus he's already cut what's there, so he'll be losing out.

It would niggle me otherwise.

Sponsored Links
The fitter didn’t look at the sink until after they cut the worktop and then told me I can’t have my sink (or any sink more than 780mm). I can’t find any standard bowl sink that size. They’re now saying they can do it but they’ll need to reinforce under the sink. However that’s going to leave a join under the edge of my draining board.
I think the guy may have cut it wrong - leaving a joint under the draining board will leave the worktop prone to blowing at that point (and he really should know that). Telling you that you have to have a different sink because he couldn't be bothered to discuss this with you doesn't wash, either. So, his cock-up - his responsibility to fix it and pay for a replacement piece. This is all part of the risk of being self-employed or running a small business. (BTW I did fit kitchens for a period, so I know first hand who's responsibility it is to sort these sort of things out - if a self-employed fitter makes a mess of it, then fitter has to pay to put it right out of his own pocket, chalk it up to experience, and next time maybe study the drawings before commencimg work)

To my mind logically the worktop with the sink should have been one long piece with the joins butting up against it. Would you accept this or should I insist the worktop cuts are changed so no join right by sink (one long length on that wall)?
It depends on the lengths of the worktops. Assuming that B&Q supply industry-standard 4 metre lengths, your 3 pieces (2052, 1700 and 2084mm reading the dwg anticlockwise) would require 3 no x 3 metre lengths - even if you go to a long end and need pieces 1451, 2300 and 2084mm you'll still get that out of 3 no x 3 metre lengths. However, installing a trapped worktop across the end of a kitchen, where more than likely the walls will be out of square is often a nightmare with damage to the plaster or tiles being pretty much inevitable and in some out of square kitchens it is an impossible fit, so both designers and fitters tend to avoid that type of installation (for very good reason).

The only thing from b and q is the units and doors. Am I unreasonable to expect the fitter to have thought this through before they cut and should the be rectifying? Advice greatly apprciated!
TBH, as I stated before, it's the fitters job to read the drawings first and install to plan if possible - not go off and do their own thing unless they have discussed it with you, the client, and gotten written authority for the variation first. If he hasn't done that then either he, or his employers, owe you a new worktop (including rectification).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone - really appreciate the advice. The fitters lead guy booked this job in April and did the measure but then told me a week or two before that he was going on holiday and handing over to his team (brother, dad and another guy). He’s back today (first day on the job with his team effectively) and amicably agreed to split the cost of another length of worktop. All in all that feels like a good outcome based on replies, most importantly there’s no animosity and the job will get done right!

Thank you - I spent ages finding the right worktop! It’s the Arlington Oak from worktop express. They’ve been great to deal with too - very fast and efficient. They have a few showrooms but you can order the samples and they take the price of that off if you order.

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the advice. The fitters lead guy booked this job in April and did the measure but then told me a week or two before that he was going on holiday and handing over to his team (brother, dad and another guy). He’s back today (first day on the job with his team effectively) and amicably agreed to split the cost of another length of worktop. All in all that feels like a good outcome based on replies, most importantly there’s no animosity and the job will get done right!

I am glad you read that you have a resolution that you are happy with... but you are out of pocket because they did not pay attention to the plan. Fair play to you though.

I thought they had followed the plan?
The first drawing seems to show that the worktops were being installed to accommodate a sink with a right handed drainer - otherwise the drainer would leave a very narrow strip of worktop beside the mason's mitre (?) joint. It would have been clearer if the position of the sink and its' drainer had been shown on the drawing so that any issues of conflict between the drawing and real life were more obvious. Also a drainer going into a corner isn't the greatest of ideas...

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back