Kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice about my new fitted kitchen worktops.

During my final inspection of the kitchen I've discovered a large crack in the front of the worktop. I've mentioned this to the fitter who says its a natural opening of the wood and will explain more to me when he visits.

However rather than be blinded by science I wish to be armed with some research before he arrives.

How does this crack look like it was formed? Do you think this is the fault of the tradesman or perhaps the material supplier?

I can't see this being replaced at this stage easily without huge upheaval to the finished kitchen, what would you think my best course of action is an attempted repair or trying to get a partial refund on materials?

These are the solid oak worktops as supplied by Howdens.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It can split after fitting though I would think it would be evident before fitting and should have been replaced.
It can be disguised with a wax stick and some care.
Supplier will not entertain replacement once it has been fixed or cut.

If you haven't yet paid, listen to Foxhole and remember 'he who pays the piper, calls the tune'...pinenot :)

heeelllooo and welcome bemaking :D :D :D

did he supply or did you supply the worktop :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
I'd try a G clamp on that and see does it close any.

Hi All,

The worktop is supplied and delivered by Howdens. Obviously purchased via the tradesmans account

I'm not sure a G clamp would be any good as I think its more of an opening than a split.

As per the supplier not being interested now its fitted thats a shame. However it would have to have been cut as its the section behind our door so must have been revealed when around 200mm was removed from the worktop width in that area.

I guess the general consensus is that at this point the tradesman should have returned it instead of attempting to fit.

I'm still awaiting his return to discuss his intentions as per fixing this. Now in place though as Foxhole suggests camouflage may have to be the most likely option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back