Kitchen worktops edges are chipped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my new kitchen installed but as you can see from the photo, the cut edges are slightly ragged which makes the finish look slightly tired. Is this what I should expect? Or should I be complaining to my builder?
Thanks for any advice
[/img]

Sponsored Links
It is also chipped in the corner where it meets the other worktop, it wasn't fitted buy a joiner.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Yep, not good. Are you saying that the builder fitted the kitchen?
Whatever the case, its not acceptable. Its not difficult to cut a laminate top neatly if you use the right blade and take care. Point out the problem and demand it is put right. Luckily it only appears from your pics to be a small section.

you should have hidden the bread knife :eek: :eek:
i assume he didnt cut it upside down front to back :?: :?:

Thanks for the replies. I took this up with the fitter who said he used a new router bit but as the laminate was thin, found it hard to get a straight edge. The worktop is By Wren, anyone else had issues with these?
Cheers

Cough...bullsh1t...cough....

A poor worker always blames his tools (or materials!) using a proper clamped straight edge and a brand new laminate cutting bit, he should have been able to get a perfect cut. I would guess he has fed the router along too quickly, causing the splitting you have shown.

he used a router and got that finish :eek: :eek:
he does realise you will get 0nly one to 1.5 joins from a worktop cutter and not a whole kitchen thats why kitchen sets often have 3 worktop cutters in them
did he do several 6 to 7mm plunges with a new worktop cutter ??

Thanks for all the replies, glad it's not just me that thinks its a bad job then. Really frustrating! I'll have to take it back up with the builder but I suspect I'll get some fob off response.

Why is it so hard to find good tradesmen. I went for one that is member of fmb assuming the quality of workmanship would be good. You live and learn I guess.

It doesn't matter how 'thin' the laminate is, he has either...

A. Rushed the job, moving too fast in the material
B. Cut in the wrong direction with the router (Clockwise with the board upside down)
C. Cut on the wrong side of the worktop for the end he wanted to be the good finish.
D: Used a worn router bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back