Kitchen Worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace our old worktops and we have been viewing all the usual DIY stores for choice. Would you believe it !!! Whilst most of the worktops available are 40mm my wife has chosen a cheaper 28mm one as her preference.

I wonder if they are as durable in the first place. I cannot see why thinner should mean less quality but I still wonder, they are considerably cheaper ??

Also there would be a small matter of the difference in depth having to be taken up in the under sink connections. Is the 12mm difference likely to a problem I wonder?

Sponsored Links
if it bothers you, you could always fit strips of 12mm ply to the cabinet tops prior to fitting the counter..
this is what they do for some granite counters, and for some SSM ones too..

40mm are going to be stronger and not as flexible, but once they are in place and supported, should be okay.
The only thing would be where the cutouts are for sink and hob, they will be much weaker.
12mm will make a difference with your pipe connections, if they are rigid copper pipes and have no flex or give in them, but can be resolved, a number of ways, but water will need turning off.
This will also be true of a gas hob, which must be installed by a registered engineer.
You will also have a gap issue, if you currently have wall tiles or back boards above the worktop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back