[kitchen] would you seal the cut laminate worktop edge against a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've fitted my laminate worktop this week and have just realised I have a cut edge against a wall that is not sealed. It is in the corner against the wall, there is a generous amount of silicone sealing the top of the worktop to the wall plus upstands above (fitted yesterday) sealing against the worktop so hopefully water shouldn't get into it from above and plus it's the back corner so there are air buffers of the sides of units, end panel etc.

Should I expect this to blow in a few years or might I be ok? It would be an absolute PITA but not impossible to take the worktop out. Probably a week's work for me working in the evenings but if it would save having to do it again with the added expenses buying and cutting new worktop that would probably be the better of the two options.

The only other thing I can think to do now would be to feed a long hose up from under the units and spray it with paint or something and hope enough reaches the edge to protect it!

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Silicone should be adequate, as you are unlikely to have much liquid seeping over the back edge, other than around the sink if not properly sealed. My (unsealed) worktop was rotted through about 7 or 8 years after installation but still managed to support the weight of the sink until replaced. So seal it carefully and check regularly as the silicone will lift.

Blup

Thanks for the reply, I should probably have been more descriptive in my title... The worktops are already fitted. This is a picture of the offending worktop edge which is unsealed... Should I be concerned?

.. can you embed google drive images?

Access here anyway - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XKa87bV3fUWd5ITwxVYQlEDqBMsvvACq
open

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back