Knee hurts when straightening out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone worked through knee pain. Picked up an injury hiking hurts when I climb/ go down stairs and when straightening

Sponsored Links
Currently nursing left knee injury, GP dismissed it as Arthritis after asking a few questions, and gave me some strong painkillers. However they can cause stomach issues, and already having a Hiatus Hernia, decided I'd be better off not taking them.... Instead, got an Appointment with a Physio, she has been somewhat more thorough and thinks its soft tissue damage rather than arthritis, so has advised some exercises and is putting (I think) a TENS Machine on it at my appointments.

Need to see a GP though in first instance, there is also a condition called 'Bursitis', which would need antibiotics to sort. Hope you get it sorted, know how painful mine can be.

When does yours hurt? Mine has hurting abit already then I decided to try climbing Ben Nevis north face on a pre planned trip

Sponsored Links
Ice packs - SWMBO just had both knees done, only thing that touches it is knee pads with ice packs in them. Now when I've been on my knees all day, even on my kneeling pads and I straighten up, then it's transfer weight bearing that's painful. I bang the packs on when I get home till they warm up, sorts them right out for the next day.
61rKVI4WyHL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Gets to my right knee especially, old repetitive injury from years of ice hockey, always going down on the outside of my right knee where pads didn't protect, so now have a dead spot to the right and below kneecap and if I catch my foot sideway with any lateral movement it sends a shock right through it.

When does yours hurt? Mine has hurting abit already then I decided to try climbing Ben Nevis north face on a pre planned trip
When trying to straighten it after being in one position for too long. Can put weight on it, and no signs of it giving way, no tender spots either to begin with but site of pain seems to have moved now, more to the inside, and pressing on a certain area on the inside of the knee is uncomfortable.

I had same problem with back after I have been down working on my knees. It's alright now.

I suffer with the odd bit of knee pain now and then. It’s been particularly bad lately since I twisted it when I slipped over getting out of a shower in France a few weeks ago. Hurts more going up or down a hill. When I was a young apprentice, an old mechanic told me to always keep a rag in my pocket so that when I kneel down, you kneel on the rag so that your knee is not on the cold concrete floor. I wish I’d listened more to him but you don’t at that age, do you?

Knee pads are the way to go, although i tend to get that kind of persistent pain in my arms, especially if i overdo any digging to be done. Pads can be a bit sweaty and hard to get a shirt over them so i tend to liberally apply voltarol over affected joints and use a stretch bandage over the sore spot. Then use a cold spray to numb the pain. Works for a while. Then i just repeat the process, grit my teeth and get on with it.

As this seems to be a general advice section of the forum, could anyone please advise me who to vote for next year in the general election?
A genuine and honest question.

As this seems to be a general advice section of the forum, could anyone please advise me who to vote for next year in the general election?
Anyone you want, they are all as bad as each other.

They all work for the same money interest in the back. Vote for the money interest. Can't remember who said it: politics is theatre. So long as you enjoy the show, vote away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back