Knock through close to corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can two pre cast concrete lintels be placed perpendicular to each other in perpendicular wall to allow for an opening below? Or would it have to be streal work bolted n welded at 90 degrees? Obviously the lintels in one wall would rest on top of the lintels that are perpendicular.

Sponsored Links
Basically I'm seeing if it's possible to knock a ground floor doorway through a cavity wall at a t-junction in a porch.

Having this extension built and want to knock through where the grey box is. This is an after thought and will speak to engineer, but just wanna see if it's feasible.?. Cost wise.
Screenshot_20211226-215940.png

Attachments

• 20211226_125243.jpg
    20211226_125243.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211226_125352.jpg
    20211226_125352.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 62
20211226_220503.jpg
20211226_220211.jpg
There will be a new porch and the existing front door will go completely- so it will be open once u step inside. I'd like to then knock a door into garage as shown.

Sponsored Links
If the opening is as per the second picture, not the first, then the upper lintel won't be loading the lower lintel - just the bearing.

The actual opening will be upto the inner leaf corner - I don't want the opening 'under' the inner leaf corner. However, there is a large concrete lintel holding the inner leaf up above the existing front door - this is sat on a small snib of wall that projects into the hallway..... see below pic. I want to remove this snib of wall so that the new door opening isn't sat the other side of a small section of wall. So I need to see if its viable to remove that snib of wall and what it will entail - if I can just fit a padstone and at the top right corner and fit a slightly larger lintel then its probably achievable...... but the lintel bearing will only be 102 mm (perpendicular to wall), rather than sitting on that small bit of wall.

20211227_100341.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back