Knocking fridge freezer compressor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was in the house I bought a few months back. When I eventually switch it on there was a constant rattling sound so I switch it off and decided to look at it at a later date. I've now pulled it out (built in type) and having given the compressor a hand slap, I could tell the inners are loose because they knock against the compressor casing.

Can I presume its ready for the white goods scrap yard?

Sponsored Links
Inside the compressor, the pump and other guts are supposed to move around - they are also immersed in refrigerant which helps keep them quiet.
The compressor itself is mounted on rubber feet - the internals are suspended on springs, rather like a washing machine drum.
I very much doubt if a repair is viable, rather than possible so I'd either put up with it or commit it to the white goods graveyard in the sky!
John :)

I've looked at it again.

It will run but if switched off, the compressor shakes like hell and the inners knock against the side. If I try to start it immediately, I hear the classic motor stuck hum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back