Knocking opening for staircase in Beam & Block floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A house I am considering purchasing has a basement which I would ideally like to access from the garage, above. I assume the garage floor is beam and block and was wondering how feasible it would be to make an opening in this floor to allow a staircase to be fitted to the basement.

Obviously, I would not do this myself - I'd be looking to get a builder to do the work, I am just wondering how difficult or costly this might be...

Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it is actually beam and block I’d expect there will be a good screed and the beams to be at closer centres with the blocks used end to end, I would say this is possible and I would hazard that a couple of steel beam would be slung beneath the floor to enable some of the beams to be trimmed. A bit awkward but doable.

Ordinarily if you were making an opening in a B/B floor for a stair you would use proprietary steel shelves supplied by the B/B supplier as trimmers slung between non trimmed beams but this is garage with much higher loading requirements.

OK, thanks a lot freddymercurystwin... Good to know it's possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back