Knocking through external wall into lean to

Tell me what's not compliant about an external quality door opening into a "conservatory" and independently controlled heating, which is what I said......

I said nothing about removing the wall and I didn't say the room would be compliant with building regs, but it would be usable in the same way that every other silly conservatory type building in the country is and there would be no problems if the house is sold.

The OP has clearly stated that he can't afford an extension and is looking for suggestions on how to make the existing more usable.

Maybe you could use your undoubted experience to suggest something workable for insulating the roof without compromising headroom too much? Surely got to be better than sneering at poor people.
I'm trying to save the poor bloke some money.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a simple postwar extension single skin extension, they banged up single skins due to the lack of bricks.

Structurally these were normally tied into the external wall with toothed bricks , as you removing the end wall you will need to accommodate the spreading load of the roof that is currently sat on the kitchen wall you want to remove. Just use a small pier return on the wall where the single skin joins the cavity wall of the kitchen, basically zip the three walls together, extension and the inner out leafs of the house.

The only real issue is ceiling height if you raise the floor, if you need to add a tiled pitched roof then you will need to add a structural component to support the roof. That needs a foundation to rest on so time to dig up the floor in a corner of the extension and check the width of the foundation

The simplest method its to timber frame it internally, just have a quick search on the amount of barns /to houses that are internally framed.

If you can live with the step down the its a standard light weight garage conversion, Frame it and insulate it and overboard. Increase the window reveals.

I would lift the flat roof up to just off level.

Last edited:
Marty (and others), thank you for the advice. My intention was use my budget as efficiently as possible, so to replace the windows with double glazing and replace the roof with a higher and flatter rubber based type, therefore removing the height issue with levelling the floor. I will be doing as much myself as possible and I'm competent at following guides and regulations when I have them. This has given me a lot to think about and I can start investigation into how well the current brickwork is tied into the main structure. I will be stripping out all the interior in the next month or so and will report back.

Thanks, ID

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back