1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Knotting Solution?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by dibsdiy, 9 Jan 2019.

1. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have stripped the paint off old woodwork, from 1930's, and also from wood about 20 years old and will be painting the wood again. Can anyone advise whether I still need to use knotting solution? It does seem to be very expensive. Many thanks for any help.

2. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depends on how many knots, as to how expensive it works out;) Google Zinnser paints - you'll find one that seals knots and acts as a primer too :idea:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    £5.59 at screwfix. But you probably only need a very small amount. The rest could be used as a stain blocker elsewhere though.

As Nige F says, you could use Zinsser BIN instead. It is basically shellac suspended in alcohol with white pigment added to it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you both for your answers. The wood I am painting is just the skirting board around a room 13' x 11', plus wood around door and window. I found some old answers on here recommending Liberon knotting solution (from screwfix) and as the final coat of paint I will be using is very light, I think I will go for that. I also have lots of primer/undercoat already so in the present financial situation (!) I will have to use that. Thank you both again for taking the time to answer this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brigadier

Brigadier

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can get knotting solution from screwfix and wickes for a fiver.
    You only use is on the knots themselves, and sparingly.
    It lasts ages.
    Personally, I'd rather spend the fiver and not see the knots bleed through my lovingly-prepared and glossed woodwork.:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you Brigadier for your reply. Yes, I bought the one from screwfix and, as you say, I'd rather use the solution than have the final coat of paint spoilt. Many thanks for replying.