Knotting Solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped the paint off old woodwork, from 1930's, and also from wood about 20 years old and will be painting the wood again. Can anyone advise whether I still need to use knotting solution? It does seem to be very expensive. Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how many knots, as to how expensive it works out;) Google Zinnser paints - you'll find one that seals knots and acts as a primer too :idea:

£5.59 at Screwfix. But you probably only need a very small amount. The rest could be used as a stain blocker elsewhere though.

As Nige F says, you could use Zinsser BIN instead. It is basically shellac suspended in alcohol with white pigment added to it.

Thank you both for your answers. The wood I am painting is just the skirting board around a room 13' x 11', plus wood around door and window. I found some old answers on here recommending Liberon knotting solution (from Screwfix) and as the final coat of paint I will be using is very light, I think I will go for that. I also have lots of primer/undercoat already so in the present financial situation (!) I will have to use that. Thank you both again for taking the time to answer this.

Sponsored Links
You can get knotting solution from screwfix and wickes for a fiver.
You only use is on the knots themselves, and sparingly.
It lasts ages.
Personally, I'd rather spend the fiver and not see the knots bleed through my lovingly-prepared and glossed woodwork.:)

Thank you Brigadier for your reply. Yes, I bought the one from Screwfix and, as you say, I'd rather use the solution than have the final coat of paint spoilt. Many thanks for replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back