Knotty Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house (6 years old) still suffers from weeping knots on external window and door frames. I regularly clean all the sap off with methylated spirit, apply knotting and re-paint only for the sap to re-appear within 6 months.

Is there no answer? Do I have to wait until all the wretched sap has oozed out over the next 50 years (by which time I'll be pushing up daisies). I can't bear to think of it getting the better of me.

Is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
Normally they're pretty good maybe the one you've got is no good or old stock, get a another difference make of brand and see what happen.

Thanks Masona. It's worth a go. I have been using Barretine's patent knotting which I thought would have been OK.

I been told it's best to give it 3 or 4 coats after drying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I'll try that too. Just repainted one lot so I'll have to wait another six months and do it again. :)

sounds like your timber is very green,was it seasoned?

It probably wasn't then but the house is coming up for 7 years now!! (And still weeping).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back