L3 / Common question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its ages since i've installed two way dimmers. I've installed all new wire which is not currently connected. Picked up the switch which is Common L1 L2, check the instructions which show L1 L2 & L3. The question is, is L3 the common. Rather than spend hours trouble shooting later can someone point me in the right direction. Manfacturer is closed today, and a web search and this forum for L3 is not throwing any light (pun). Help

Sponsored Links
you can not have 2 "ordainairy" 2 way dimmers connected to each other.

also see for refernce (top of electrics uk)

Taken as intended, although that did not answer the question. Is L3 Common, or have i missed something. I have checked again through the sticky

mole999 said:
Taken as intended, although that did not answer the question. Is L3 Common, or have i missed something. I have checked again through the sticky
Most manufactures use com, L1 & L2 (though 1 way switching is L1 on some whilst L2 on others) if it`s noted as L1,L2 & L3 then usually L1 is common .
Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks, exactly what i was guessing it would be, unhelpful when connecting different marked fittings hence my original question

once i got ebee's answer it was so apparent that it was ludicrous. When treating Yellow as common, it was easy to see from the diagram, but i needed the nudge to get me going :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back