LABC reply at last !!! Also a question about wall lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, finally received a reply from the LABC about the wiring changes I am going to be making. They say it will be approx four weeks after they receive my cheque for the princely sum of £150 - not too bad after all.

Anyway, my question is this :-
Our lass has decided that seeing as I'm going to be doing so much rewiring etc, I can fit a couple of wall lights while I'm at it - typical aye ? :rolleyes: The thing is, the room where she wants the lights is the beginning of the lighting radial, hence no spare terminals in the ceiling rose to take the live feed from. Would it be acceptable practice to take the feed from the other room where the radial ends ( They are actually two rooms knocked into one btw ) to a double pole lightswitch in the room where the lights are to go to power them ?

I know it would easier to cut into the existing lighting feed for the supply via a JB or maybe even fit another rose but there is no way of leaving this accessible, other than to leave a blank rose on the ceiling, which as you can imagine isn't what I am prepared to do coz it'll look stupid.

Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
You can put two wires into the live loop and neutral terminals. It is a bit tight, but does fit, and saves any additional joints anywhere.

Yes, that's fine.
No real need to use a double pole switch, just place the neutrals in a connector block within the switch backbox.

You can put two wires into the live loop and neutral terminals. It is a bit tight, but does fit, and saves any additional joints anywhere.

Ah great ! I didn't even want to try it coz I just guessed that it wouldn't be to spec.

Yes, that's fine. No real need to use a double pole switch, just place the neutrals in a connector block within the switch backbox

I hate the look of separate connector blocks inside switches. That's why I suggested a double pole switch ( Read anal about neatness :oops: ) Although I do see the reason for doing it this way, it would still be OK to go the 2pole route yes ?

Thanks for the replies lads.

Sponsored Links
Yeah you can if you want, but be aware that 20A DP switches are stiffer to operate, and often have a slightly thicker face plate.

Oh, and they often have a red indicator bit on the top of the switch rocker.

Thanks RF. I'll nip along to one of the sheds & have a play with some of the switches to see what I think.

I hate the look of separate connector blocks inside switches. That's why I suggested a double pole switch ( Read anal about neatness :oops: ) Although I do see the reason for doing it this way, it would still be OK to go the 2pole route yes ?

:confused: Are you using see through switches?
There's nothing untidy or wrong about a connector block inside a switch backbox. All very normal.

Are you using see through switches? There's nothing untidy or wrong about a connector block inside a switch backbox. All very normal.

Yeah I know Gary, I'm going to have to use one in the intermediate switch for the hallway lights, it's just that I don't like the look of it inside the backbox if I can help it.

I know, I know I'm a weirdo :) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back