Labgear inputs

Just a thought, but have you checked if the LDU604 is supplying power to the LNB?

Sponsored Links
I doubt it - at the moment it's not connected to the LNB at all.

But the LNB seems to work fine without - as we get a satellite feed direct from the dish to the other TV, without going near the distribution point. And even when I take a feed from the new wire through the house (loose wire, down the stairs etc) I get a satellite feed to the new telly. Obviously can't live with a loose wire down the stairs though...

That's probably because the TV has LNB Power switched on in its menus.

LNBS don't work without power. This leads back to my previous point: Is the amp supplying power. The follow-on question from that is then what happens if the LNB gets two lots of power? Do you see?

but how can it work if the cable works down the stairs, but not when the cable is in the wall. I'm not touching any lnb power button on the telly.

All i am doing is changing the cable; one works, one doesnt.

Sponsored Links
Look, it's simple. Just disconnect each of the three output wires from the LDU604. Next, connect the wire in the loft from the LNB directly to each one if those wires in turn. Make sure the wall socket plate connection behind the TV goes to the Sat input on the TV.

One of the wires will work if it runs from the loft to the lounge. This is the equivalent of the long wire down the stairs. It achieves what you want.

that is what i have done! As explained on the last page (and this).

it doesn't work. Hence two pages of questions

that is what i have done! As explained on the last page (and this).

it doesn't work. Hence two pages of questions

Not possible. Sorry, but you've either wired it wrong or you're not following the instructions given here or there's some bit of info still missing from the info given.

As far as I can tell you've not worked out if the Freeview feed to the TV is coming from the loft amp i.e. you've not buzzed out your connections (see posts #5 and #10)

i've not wired it incorrectly.

please tell me the instructions you've given me i've not followed.

i'll explain it again, in words of one syllable.

scenario A - works: satellite feed TO wire through house TO telly.
scenario B - doesn't work : satellite feed TO wire in wall TO telly
scenario C - works: aerial feed TO wire in wall TO telly

nothing else changes. Absolutely nothing.

you'll undoubtedly come back, and tell me i'm a muppet. Or tell me i'm wrong. Or accuse me of lying again.

So i'll thank you for time (again) and see if there's anyone else who can help.

You've said you've worked out that it's LDU604G "OUT 2" that feeds the wall socket in the lounge with Freeview. Is that correct?

Just to double check, if you either switch off the LDU or you unplug the lead connected to OUT 2 then there's no Freeview on the new telly, right?

Next, in the room with the new telly, at the signal wall plate, take the wall plate off the wall. Look at the back of it. If there's any kind of circuit (no matter how rudimentary), or there's a big 'lump' where the downleads from the loft connect to wall plate then its filtered. That will stop the power signal that makes the LNB work. Looking at the LNB on the satellite dish attached to your property, each of the 4 wires/sockets attaches to its own LNB. Each LNB requires its own power feed. In most cases it gets that from the Freesat TV or the Satellite box each of the wires is connected to. If something interrupts that power feed then there'll be no signal from that particular LNB.

So, after looking at the back of the wall plate, what you're looking for is a screw socket on the back of the same style as the OUTs on the LDU604G. These are F connectors. The socket on the wall plate you need should be a simple 'through' connector; basically a threaded barrel connector embedded in to the wall plate and accessible from both sides.

Now take the downlead that you know feeds Freeview to the back of that wall plate. Connect it directly to the back of the through connector for satellite. If you have to remove another cable from that socket before making the new connection then go ahead and do that.

At this point you should have an unfiltered connection from the LDU OUT2 in the loft to the back of the unfiltered Sat connection on the wall plate.

Make a connection from the front of the wall plate SAT connector to the SAT input on the back of the TV. Now go to the loft.

Disconnect the lead from LDU604G OUT2. Take the LNB feed from the dish. Join the two cables together. At this point you now have a direct and unfiltered connection from one of the LNB Feeds from the dish direct to the SAT input on the TV. Once we know you've got all that sorted out, then we can move on to working out of you have a dodgy F connection on one of the wires.

My bet would be the connections from the OUTs on the LDU. You've got blue tape on them. There's no reason for that if the plugs are properly attached to the coax cables. Freeview will scrape by with a crappy connection. Satellite won't. All you need to bugger it up is on single tiny strand of the braid wire touching the centre connector and it's Goodnight Vienna for your power to the LNB.

F connectors aren't difficult to fit, but it's easy to do it messily and end up with no SAT signal. Go have a look at Youtube and watch some videos how to connect the plug. Do the same with yours.

Your Freesat receiver should be connected to "DOWN LINK OUT". When you turn on the receiver, does the LED on the distribution amp light up?

the electrician who fitted it came around last night.

He was puzzled. Took a good hour to work it out.

Then he worked out that the LNB power from the telly was being dissipated across the wall plate; as a result there wasn't enough charge to get a signal. As soon as you bypassed the plate, it all worked. Put it through the plate, it didn't. In the loft, we're completely bypassing the distribution box; given time I may try and work something out, but it's not essential.

So now we have a short wire hanging down outside the plate. Not ideal, but not too much of a problem

Many thanks for all your help.

Sounds like you had an isolated faceplate. This shouldn't have been a puzzle for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back