Labourer wage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently working on site as a labourer 3-1 ratio, i have my own van, tools, never had a day of, turn up everyday, work my ass of allways one step ahead of the brickies even spread for them and do the block work when i have time. Im currently on £70 a day which i do t think is very good what do you guy pay your labourers and is this a fair wage?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends where you are in the country.

Is that gross or take home?

Are you CIS or on payroll

I would think you should be described as 'an improver' not labourer -which in the South East would be more like £100 / day gross or more.

There was a guy was in a 3and1 gang asked the same question earlier in the year

Take home £280 a week i have a house and van to pay for do t inow how i do it! What do you mean by improver sorry? Aha and cis. Based in cheshire

Take home £280 a week i have a house and van to pay for do t inow how i do it! What do you mean by improver sorry? Aha and cis. Based in cheshire

Improver:

More skill and experience than labourer, less skilled than fully qualified, time served guy.

Thats £70 a day gross. Not enough really, but in a gang, they prob only want to pay a labourers wage, you might be best finding another job.

Sponsored Links
Oh i see, yeh ild say thats right as im allways willing to give things ago and keen to learn the trade, they are quite stingey with money started of as 2-1 but got a new brickie few weeks back so im having to do extra now, the guys i work with are good lads take care of me n that. But feeling like there taking the **** abit tbh

I'm not in your line of work, but if you value yourself at £25 and will work for that, that's what they'll pay you.

Look for other contracts at a higher rate. If you can get them, you can afford to turn down lower-paid jobs.

If you do, and you're worth more, they'll offer it.

Unless some other mug is willing to do it for less.

I view myself like a market trader selling tomatoes. Before I stuck up my placard, I'd make damn sure I knew today's market price for tomatoes.

I know myself i am worth more than £70 a day, but there is nothing in my area, and them taking on another brickie i inow if i ask for a rise there defo gonna say no

£70 per day is not a lot for someone who is self employed.
What about holiday pay and accident and sickness cover.
Who pays your pension contributions ,the costs of running a van ect.
I was a roofer for 30 years, I packed it in after an accident, I now work in security ,a job I would never have considered years ago.
I work 12hr shifts that's if you could call it work, as long as I turn up in time and sign off at the end of the shift I get £110 (double time on bank holudays ect) ,the jobs a doddle compared to the building trade were I earned up to twice as much but had more insecurity and over heads.
Anyone self employed in the building trade should be earning at least £150 per day to have a decent wage.

No holiday pay no nothing i pay for everything myself even insurance, i want to learn the trade but never get the chance could go work in a warhouse and probely earn more. After ive paid all my bills leaves me with next to nothing i work to hard to get paid next to nothing

Can you do other trades?

Say some 1st fix carpentry, setting out.....

If you are a bit multi skilled you could get in with a local builder, a small company that does extensions etc. A reliable guy with a van and some tools is well sought after...at least round here. A much greater variety if work. I dont know what your area is.

Unfirtunately its a case of either asking for more money where you are. Or taking a gamble and going elsewhere for more.

I guess you are on new build.....thats where gangs usually work, its a numbers game.

Sponsored Links
Back