Todays strike..anyone else involved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not in the union (unison) in work...I wont join it because some of my subs will go to the labour party..and im not a labour man...so I had the choice, cross the picket line and face all the abuse an intimidation or take a day out of my holiday...option three would have been a disiplinary for taking the day off..

Not much in it really...and being as I support the principle of the strike I tool a days holiday..

I dont think people would be that bothered but the rule isnt going to apply to certain sectors who are paid using public/local government funds..

Thats whats pi**ing a lot of people off.

Now think of this...

As I mentioned earlier, some of the union subs go towards the labour parties funds..the union indirectly, are supporting the self same (edited!)people who have come up with this scheme...if unision felt so strongly then they should withdraw financial support...you cant call people out on strike and sponsor the party that have caused the (edited!) strike in the first place!

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right for the Labour govt. to me though :rolleyes:

They're supposed to do so much for the health service yet they have been trying to close our local community hospital & A&E - meaning most people would have to travel at least 45 mins to get to casualty!!!!

Zampa said:
Im not in the union (unison) in work...I wont join it because some of my subs will go to the labour party..and im not a labour man...

When I was member of the (then) EEPTU, anyone could opt out of the political levy, used to get two free weeks membership, maybe this is not an option with UNISON

Crystals right I was in aeeu and they donated the labour sub to charity if you asked. It made everyobes subs the same, and we had the satisfaction of not supporting Mr Tony Blair.

Sponsored Links
The roads were very clear today, it made a huge difference. More strikes, that's what I say!! :LOL:

I had to drive down to Telford today, and absolutely whizzed round Manchester. Mind you, I noticed that the Tyne Tunnel was shut - Why ? Couldn't they just have flung open the toll booths, or were the council trying to make the impact seem worse than it really was ?

securespark said:
johnny_t said:
I noticed that the Tyne Tunnel was shut - Why ?

The Mersey Tunnels were shut, too.

Its difficult to see why people in such jobs deserve index linked public pensions. I was listening to another whinging assistant librarian on the radio earlier, she was saying how hard they worked and why they deserved to retire early. :rolleyes:

The only fair answer is for everyone to get the same pension at the same age. It is blatantly wrong for some to get more, just because they earned more whilst working.

These people in the public employ are holding us to ransom and are out of touch with they way the workers in the private sector are treated.

Zampa said:
Im not in the union so I had the choice, cross the picket line and face all the abuse an intimidation or take a day out of my holiday...option three would have been a disiplinary for taking the day off..

Not much in it really...and being as I support the principle of the strike I tool a days holiday..

!

And them pickets will probably get paid!!!! Grrrr

Poole lifting road Bridge was left raised from midnight all day. Duhhhh

I think its sh*t both ways mate..pensions conditions wage rates allowences etc have always been good in the public sector thats why public stick their tedious jobs out for so long I spose..

Its just a perk I spose..

For every pound I stick in the my employer sticks in two...very nice i guess..but remember a lot of public sector workers are limited to how much they can earn...everythng is based on poxy scales and grades..you can only earn so much...whereas some private sector worker may be able to haggle..

But I have had a private pension too...what a load of tripe..wasnt worth hardly anything to me..80 quid a month...and a return 0f 35 quid a week!

So I scrapped it..abd hoping to put it toward buying a place abroad instead 'ill make more money.

Maybe one pension scheme for everybody is the answer...a government run scheme..in addition to your own pension...but it will never happen because of the existing private companies.

What does wind me up is the money thats in a frzen pension has to stay there or be moved to another pension scheme...and you cant get it out..

It aint so much the roadsweepers and bread and butters guys that I'm ****e d off with, it's these social workers, and team leader with a portfolio for a hard working council (k40). et al.

I never noticed any effect from the strike - wouldn't have known anything about it except for the news coverage. The company I work for has closed its final salary scheme to new joiners (did this about four years ago) and has raised the company retirement age to 65 from 60. Did we go on strike - did we hell!

Why do council workers expect us to fund their retirements? Most of these do naff all in the way of work and took the job because it is a cushy number. Our local council is proposing to raise council tax in order to put more money into their pension scheme!!!

A lot of the blame for the pensions situation has to go to Gordon Brown, the treasury is now robbing £5,000,000,000 from UK pensions schemes every year. This is causing schemes to fold and will place a greater burden on the state when those that would have had a supplementary income will have to claim benefits in addition to the state pension.

Sponsored Links
Back