Ladders and hedgcutting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20170904_105536.jpg
I was using this ladder to cut the hedge and the ladderm8. When I was at the top it slipped back a bit. Is it because of levers? I mean if u push the top of ladder won't that reduce how secure the ladder is on the ground?

Also, looking into the tripod ladder. Anyone got any experience of this?

In the other photo the ladder sinks into the hedge too much.
ladder in hedge.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you set a ladder up at too shallow an angle, it will slip
Never tried it but fixing a "snow shoe" plate to the ladder may stop it moving into the hedge?

I would use an A frame sideways - like a zargges

Or use a small scaf frame. You can get ones that fold
With that hedge a couple of brick layers trestles ad a couple of planks would do
A ladder is the last resort access wise

You need to use a ladder that is similar height, ideal 6" less than the height of the hedge. As you say you lean forward at the top and it creates a pivot point where it rests on the hedge. The issue with this is every hedge is a different height.

The far better solution is a tripod ladder. They are very stable even on the 3 Ste from the top. They are also very confortable to use as they are steps not ladder rungs so you get a better footing. Add in adjustable back legs and they are great on slopes.

My best ever hedge cutting purchase, if you are doing this as a job it's a no brainer. As a homeowner ita harder to justify. I'll be using mine later today.

You need to use a ladder that is similar height, ideal 6" less than the height of the hedge. As you say you lean forward at the top and it creates a pivot point where it rests on the hedge. The issue with this is every hedge is a different height.

The far better solution is a tripod ladder. They are very stable even on the 3 Ste from the top. They are also very confortable to use as they are steps not ladder rungs so you get a better footing. Add in adjustable back legs and they are great on slopes.

My best ever hedge cutting purchase, if you are doing this as a job it's a no brainer. As a homeowner ita harder to justify. I'll be using mine later today.

Sponsored Links
Handyman so do gardening part time. Got the ankalad stabiliser on the hammer in pix. But that cant be pushed into the hedge. I guess the tripod one can have the front pole 'pushed into' the hedge itself so the top comes out further into hedge. Is it better to get the higher one and use a normal ladder for lower levels? Adjustable feet surely worth extra money

I used a mobile aluminium platform, though now removed all the hedge as it was getting to unmanageable.

They are great because as you say you can sink the rear leg into a hedge. I have a 14ft one and its good for high hedges upto about 18ft. If you dont do too many high hedges a smaller one is better and easier to use on average 10ft type hedges. too much ladder above the hedge just gets in the way.

I have one with only the rear leg being adjustable and have never come across a situation where I couldnt make it work. The 3 legs adjustable type would be easier on slopes but as i said you can usually get it working one way or another.

If i had to have one for general use a 12ft would probably be most useful but at the end of the day too big is much better than too small. Bare in mind transporting them too, a 16ft is very wide at the base.

Mobile towers are far to slow to put up and take down for professional use.

A platform is the preferred way to work at height
A zarges tele tower takes about 5 mins to put up and is pasma certified

I did post the idea of using plasterers' stilts on another forum, and was asked to post the video of my demise if I ever fell off them!

They are great because as you say you can sink the rear leg into a hedge. I have a 14ft one and its good for high hedges upto about 18ft. If you dont do too many high hedges a smaller one is better and easier to use on average 10ft type hedges. too much ladder above the hedge just gets in the way.

I have one with only the rear leg being adjustable and have never come across a situation where I couldnt make it work. The 3 legs adjustable type would be easier on slopes but as i said you can usually get it working one way or another.

If i had to have one for general use a 12ft would probably be most useful but at the end of the day too big is much better than too small. Bare in mind transporting them too, a 16ft is very wide at the base.

Mobile towers are far to slow to put up and take down for professional use.

Seriously thinking of getting one. Like u say there are different height ones. I thought the higher the better as I could use a normal ladder for smaller trees/hedges surely where if u slip the consequences are less? But I guess got to transport it. I have a Peugeot Expert so got to consider if it'll fit on the roof rack and not be too tall for most of my hedge/ tree jobs.

Towers are much safer but just too slow and impractical for all but the most easy accessed hedges along driveways etc.

As I said its easier to work with one similar height to the hedge but better too tall than too small.

Pasma and working at height regs apply to anybody

I was wondering about this the other day. Opposite me are some town houses, so what would normally be on the first floor (e.g. bedrooms) are actually on the second floor. What I saw was a couple of window cleaners just leaning a tall ladder against the house and climbing it. So their feet over 20' in the air and their heads closer to 30'.

I thought the working at height regs meant that (rule of thumb) anything more than two stories up then a ladder on its own was not okay. Is that right?

I usually dig two small holes and set the bottoms of the ladder into them, can't go any-where!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back