Lady Newbie-Kia Sportage XS 2005 overheating & Heated se

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I purchased a kia sportage XS in October this year and whilst driving in heavy bumper to bumper traffic on the motorway (did 50 miles in less than 2 hours would you believe?) the kia started to overheat, steam was coming out from under the bonnet. I got the car to a nearside motoway services and topped up with water, had a break and then got back onto the motorway and the same thing happened. Can anyone help explain the overheating issues and what to do about this, and the remedy. Would I also need to top up with anti freeze each time this overheating starts?
I had the kia fully serviced as it did not come with its next service done (sold on before it was just due!).

I've also noticed that the heated seats (on any run not just long runs) work for a short while and then switch off (due to the temperature reached) but it takes ages to get the heated seats back on - can anyone comment please?
Many thanks

:)

Sponsored Links
Hi, it could be one of the following:

The electric fan is not coming on when driving in traffic. This fan pulls air through the engine radiator to cool the liquid in the cooling system.

Or the thermostat valve has failed and will not open to allow the coolant into the radiator. This will happen regardless of the type of driving. So if it only happens in heavy traffic go for the fan, if it happens all the time go for the thermostat.

Yes you will have to top up with antifreeze a 50/50 mix with water should be OK.

Try that for starters and see how you get on

PS Don't worry about the seats until you get the overheating sorted. And ALWAYS let the engine cool down before topping up with water, after overheating.

Hi,

Thank you for your help and support.

The fan actually stays on when driving at speed (normal speed and top speed). When driving bumper to bumper in heavy traffic the fan doesnt come on hence why the temperature guage goes up. Can you help comment on this please?

After topping up I drove off to join the motorway again and bumper to bumper again and the temperture guage kept climbing. So I turned off the engine every time I came to a stop and continued to do this until I got away from bumper to bumper traffic and in 1st GEAR!, and got onto a clear enough road. I was driving bumper to bumper for approx 2 hours so the kia was just not coping for some reason or another.

Getting onto open road, the fan kicked in and everything was fine with the kia - no overheating problems or issues.
What make of coolant would be best to get I know you said 50/50 but is there a certain make or name or best to go to Halfords and what type to get there please?

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
Sounds strange that the fan will run when not in traffic, it should only come on when the temperature rises well above normal, in free flowing traffic the draught through the radiator is enough to keep it cool without the fan. If you are still having to drive it like that, when the temperature goes above normal turn your heater on full and open the windows, that will help to cool the engine.

Get the temperature sensor checked.

Peter

Yes as Peter said the fan (the one out at the radiator) should come on as the temperature gauge starts to rise. You seem to have the opposite? Not sure why, but the control sensor may have been changed for the wrong type. Just make sure it is actually coming on when the car is travelling at speed? Can you hear it cutting on and off from inside the car?

Ask the lads in Halfords to check what antifreeze is listed for your car, (best to go in mid-week less chance of a party the night before) but Halfords best should be OK.

Let us know how you get on

Back