Vaillant Installation Pump Over Run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies firstly. I'm a complete newbie and don't understand much about my central heating system. I've looked through the forums but have come to the conclusion that there could be a multiple of reason why my downstairs rads are not coming on (but the upstairs are).

I had a new ecoTec Plus 630 and uniStor hot water storage cylinder put into my house. A lot of the piping was replaced. The ecotec is downstairs in the kitchen and controlled with a honeywell unit. I also have a honeywell thermostat downstairs. The unistor is in the loft with an extra expansion vessel. I was told that this is an unvented system. This was all done October 2009. All radiators were replaced so don't think I could have sludge in them and definitely not in all of them. engineer said that a little top up 3 to 4 times a year is ok and have checked with him and installer outside for any visible leaks. Water pressure coming into house is naturally low. But everything was working before.

Since then I've had the following:

1. Dropping of pressure, the gauge on the ecoTEC was dropped below the gray part and I'd have to top it up using the valves in the loft with the Unistor. This happened about 4 times in the first 7 months.

2. Called in Vaillant to check system and the engineer said there was no permanent live to the boiler from the honeywell and they would not support the boiler as the display was not permanently on.

3. Called the installer who said nothing wrong with the wiring and could not understand what vaillant meant. Unfortunately, the vaillant guy did not leave me with much of a detailed explanation. I then called in an electrician to redo the wiring so that there was a permanent live in July 2010.

4. I called in vaillant again to check it out because pressure was still dropping and the guy who came to check could find nothing wrong with the boiler itself (an independent plumber had said that it could have been faulty thermostat or safety valve in the actual boiler unit). He then checked the gas supply to the boiler and immediately called out the gas supply people to replace something on the top of my gas meter.

5. Hot water always running fine and set to continuous. Now in October and it's getting cold. Set timers for central heating and it was all working fine. All rads heating up.

6. IS THIS AN INDICATOR: Started to hear beeping sounds in house every now and again. Checked all smoke alarms and intruder alarms etc.. no problem. Now thinking it was a sound from the boiler system.

7. Had boiler serviced and all was said to be fine. From that night on, no heat in downstairs rads and upstairs take a bit longer. The central heating dial in the ecotec is set to 2'o' clock position. System is probably about 2 bar. Tried bleeding all rads downstairs but no air came out. Just lots of water. One radiator is a wall mounted one with a flat face. Could not figure out how to bleed this one. Ended up bleeding a lot of water out of system and had to top up again.

8. That night, rads came on warm downstairs but only after about 3 hours!!!

9. Went away for weekend and when back they remain cold. Tried bleeding as ecotec showing s.52 message (pressure > 2.9 bar). Now the pressure is more like 2 bar. When tried central heating the status codes went from s.1-s.4 with flame and other icons on. But still no heat downstairs rads.

10. In morning, when try to fire up central heating, getting the s.7. It also does s.97 briefly. Radiator icon is flashing on unit even though heat demand is switched off.

I've got vaillant coming in (will ask them to check the pump) in a couple of days but also have installer and service guy coming later today. Is there anything else I can do???? I'm very confused and have a little baby in a cold house.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've got issues with your system, wiring and plumbing and possibly a leak. Just be lucky you have a vaillant, cos any other manufacturer would be charging you for all these non boiler related faults.

Thanks for that!!! I am lucky I've been able to call them out.

Have you got any advice over what I should be doing now? Or wait till Vaillant engineer has been and gone?

difficult to say, sounds like you have more than one problem, all installlation related. This should all be dealt with by your installer. If vaillant come out and the engineer is in a good mood he may have a look around and point you in the right direction. However, if the boiler is ok, he has every right to just advise as such and walk away.
Some of your previous comments have given me reason to suspect your installer isnt up to the job, hopefully im wrong.

Sponsored Links
Okay, well the installer was gas safe registered but i have to agree with you that too many problems. Should have kept it as it was!!! Just wondering if any other course of action I can take. Difficult to get him to continue coming. He has stopped answering my calls!

Anyway, will wait for vaillant to check the boiler. Like you said, maybe the engineer will give some advice else just check the boiler and move on.

thanks for the responses!

yeh, see what vaillant guy says. If there's any outstanding work you may just have to bite the bullet and call someone else out to tidy up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back