Lag when viewing CCTV through a Network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When i view my 8 x 1080p CCTV cameras directy via a DVI or HDMI cable, i get very responsive live feeds with no lag.

But when i view the same through a Cat 6 network cable plugged directly between my DVR and my Router, i get 1-2 seconds of lag on all feeds.

How can i resolve this lag? Which i assume is a bandwidth issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the router 10/100 MBit, what is the actual link speed to the PC, and are you trying to see all 8 HD channels at once?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Also depends on PC processer speed and graphics card , do you log on via an internal IP address or DNS server name ?

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. My DVR is connected to the back of my Virgin Media home hub and then from the Hub to the back of my PC. Both with short 1m gold plates cables.

My PC CPU has 8 x Cores @ 4.5ghz, 64GB of RAM and a 2GB Graphics Card. So maybe it's the graphics card?

I login via the IP address of the DVR and then some of the software from the DVR loads into IE.

The router is capable of over 1000 mbps on all of it's LAN ports and yes i am trying to view all 8 cctv feeds at the same time.

do ctrl alt del, go to the task manager and then the networking tab, and you can see there how fast the ethernet link speed is - your router may be 1GBit, but if there is a single 10/100 device plugged in, it will degrade everything down to that speed.

Nozzle

do ctrl alt del, go to the task manager and then the networking tab, and you can see there how fast the ethernet link speed is - your router may be 1GBit, but if there is a single 10/100 device plugged in, it will degrade everything down to that speed.

Nozzle
you sure about that?

That's sorted then. So what's the OP's problem?

Nozzle
I don't know as it could be various things and without knowing more details its impossible to tell, my remarks weren't to the OP anyway they where regarding the incorrect statement about network devices and speed

its possible the virgin box is 10/100 port not gibabit. Its unlikely to be the PC with that spec. Have you tried pinging the cameras? Alternatively its whatever device is doing the streaming/file management video conversion. (the DVR).

Have you tried downgrading the video codec?

8 cams @ H.264 compressed is about 80mbit/s which is pretty close to the limit of a 100mbit network, but I reckon the issues is the transcoder. Unlike the Haswell based PC, its probably got a low power ARM phone proc doing the work

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back