lagging an internal soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse my lack of the correct terms, but I have moved into a new build and they have not lagged the soil pipe which is in the wall, the house is three floors and every time someone uses either the toilet or the shower, we hear all the water crashing down the soil pipe, it sounds like a waterfall.

My question is, is it in the building regulations that internal soil pipes need to be lagged for noise reduction?

Thanking you in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm not aware of it being a regulation, and if it was then your new build house wouldn't have been passed by NHBC, so you wouldn't be living in it. If you want it lagged you'll have to do it yourself

Part E of the building regs is the one that covers noise transmission. Although I don't think it will help you much in this case.

New builds are notorious for unwanted sound transmission due to builders not using decent quality insulation.

Sponsored Links
Part E of the building regs is the one that covers noise transmission. Although I don't think it will help you much in this case.

It is in Part E. Clause 3.40 onwards. Just get the PDF document and search through it (Ctrl + F) for any mention of the word 'pipe'.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADE_2003.pdf

If the sound insulation and enclosure has been neglected, you should also check whether the fire protection has also been installed; you're looking for built-in intumescent collars on plastic soil pipes at the wall or floor junctions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back