Farty noise? Soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
every now and then I can hear a farty noise which sounds like its coming from the soil pipe in our house.

Def not my arse.

Do soil pipes fart?

Sponsored Links
I do know that farting in your shreddies can sometimes lead to soil! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
That must be what it is!

AAV is an Air Admittance Valve which is used on drainage pipes to allow air in but not out, to prevent vacuuming, which can pull traps dry or prevent smooth discharge of waste.

Does this noise occur after a toilet has been flushed and the cistern fill cycle has completed? Torbeck valves on high pressure supplies can emit this type of sound, usually if the HP restrictor has not been fitted. And this can reverb down pipes with soil stack acting as an amplifier.

AAV is an Air Admittance Valve which is used on drainage pipes to allow air in but not out, to prevent vacuuming, which can pull traps dry or prevent smooth discharge of waste.

Does this noise occur after a toilet has been flushed and the cistern fill cycle has completed? Torbeck valves on high pressure supplies can emit this type of sound, usually if the HP restrictor has not been fitted. And this can reverb down pipes with soil stack acting as an amplifier.

I didn’t think we had a valve on the soil pipe.

We had an extension built about 2 years ago and the soil pipe was resited and boxed in.it comes out in a void which is inaccessible then come through the outside wall.

Have never noticed it before. Its not that loud but just very strange.

I didn’t think we had a valve on the soil pipe.

We had an extension built about 2 years ago and the soil pipe was resited and boxed in.it comes out in a void which is inaccessible then come through the outside wall.

Have never noticed it before. Its not that loud but just very strange.

If the soil goes into the wall to a bathroom/ensuite etc and doesn't emerge again at roof level, with an open vent, then you likely have an AAV installed in the boxing. Also known as a Durgo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back